Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Lawyer questions? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42704-ot-lawyer-questions.html)

THRILLSEEKER 02-05-2003 03:34 PM

OT: Lawyer questions?

How do you tell if a lawyer is extremely good at what he does?
I know that everybody hates them and you guys will probably have some fun with this, but on a serious note when someone says "get yourself a good lawyer" how can you tell one from the next. I mean hell, the yellow pages are full of them:confused:
The reason I ask is that my business is currently in need of one and my partner just went to the first guy that he saw in the phone book:rolleyes: How can I tell if this guy is a "ambulance chasser" or if he will actually do a good job in representing my company's needs?

BAJA WILL 02-05-2003 03:38 PM

My Uncle is an Ex DA in NC, has never had to advertise. I have very good experience with my lawyers, and none of them advertise. Really good ones don't need to, their reputation does all the talking. But you pay for it!!!!

JUSTONCE 02-05-2003 04:05 PM

I know a couple of good ones, I've found the best way to tell is word of mouth (past cases) find out what city yo are going to court in and get a lawyer that is friends with the judge. there are always a few. They all kind of know each other and if you know anyone that practices law in the area they could probrably point you in the right direction of a good lawyer for the case. Every lawyer has their specialty to so find the right one. (we got a good dui lawyer here that everyone uses and he's killer.)

throttleup 02-05-2003 04:43 PM

Having experienced this: I called 10 attorneys and asked them all the same question...."Who is it that would least like to go up against in court?" and if someone's name consistantly is stated then that's the ticket. This has worked in my favor in the past!

Just my .02

Julie

HyperBaja 02-05-2003 04:51 PM

Another drug smuggling charge on that Cigarette? ;) :D

THRILLSEEKER 02-05-2003 06:01 PM

HB, give it up dude! :mad:

GLH 02-05-2003 07:15 PM

Talk to fellow business owners, local suppliers, big clients or anyone that has had to do extensive legal wrangling whether criminal or corporate law (whichever you are looking for) You also might want to try a local associations (even country club!!) that would have business owner for input. It's like shopping for a boat you have to do your homework!
Hope this helps.

THRILLSEEKER 02-05-2003 07:32 PM

thanks guys keep the info coming

SeaRay Jim 02-05-2003 07:41 PM

Word of mouth is about the best way. Most good lawyers don't have to advertise much. Not to say that good lawyers don't advertise. (got to protect myself from a slander suit! :D)

HyperBaja 02-05-2003 08:02 PM

Originally posted by THRILLSEEKER
HB, give it up dude! :mad:
Sorry, I just had to do it. Good luck with the Lawer and the case.