Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boston Police get Intercept Go Fasts (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42905-boston-police-get-intercept-go-fasts.html)

eMotiondriver 02-08-2003 07:22 PM

Beats the Boston Whaler most departments have..

Pantera1 02-08-2003 07:39 PM

Intercoastal

Definatly not an open sea rig but in calmer water ..
Plus we have these

Luxy60 02-09-2003 10:54 AM

Did they ever try and sell these to the general public? Tough to complete with some of the faster hull and more stylish/ sleek deck designs out there. Seems like this boat was targeted towards government/ miltary duty from the get go.
I don't see how lack of steps has anything to do with rough water capability. If turning and handling snotty water is the primary goal (vs. all out top end) with decent speed than I'd say steps are a detriment and not something critically lacking in the design.... but what do I know!:D

Steve 1 02-09-2003 01:46 PM

There are people who can design and build a proper Catamaran and those who obviously can not!

Audiofn 02-09-2003 01:52 PM

Steve1 not that I disagree with you but I do not know cats well at all. Can you clarify what you see as bad design in that boat?

As far as this boat stopping drug smuggling, I think that claims like that are just plain stupid and it causes a loss of credibility to the department that is going to use them. I mean serisously is this thing going to keep up with the best Cigs, or Apache power boats? NOT!!!! :D:D I just hope that they train the drivers of those things cuz there is no doubt in my mind that I will be getting pulled over at leaste once by these cow boys, and they DAMN WELL better have fenders if they want to pull along side me!!! :D:D I told them to go to hell last year when they tried to pull up next to me in their concrete thing!!!!

Jon

Steve 1 02-09-2003 03:22 PM

First off they are using the tried and proven Failure of the split Vee Hull what you wind up with is a twin hull that is slower than the original vee bottom it was made from; one reason the wet tunnel (the last thing a competent cat boat designer would wish for)

Foreword recovery which is really kinda nice in a following sea condition is not present (now do not forget we now have a 10 beam boat on a base that would work for an 8 foot beam boat) so they must use Mass...a bad idea.(if the boat trips) Look most cats have a shallow dead rise for a very good reason SUPPORT when in “Boat mode” This has the convergence of a 24 degree mono hull.

Now as we know Cats come in all Flavors High Speed Racing Pleasure…..Low Speed like the fishing cats….. And each has its own design this Boat is claiming to be in both courts which is impossible given the genetics of the hull,

At low speed you have that sopping wet tunnel (look at the amount of water it disturbs) and at high speed you have the Twin 24 degree hulls riding on the water. As we know nothing supports weight like horizontal surfaces so the best thing for them to do is play with strakes but be vevery vevery careful LOL

Simple question how fast is a 27 mono hull with 2 promax Engines? And BTW I really like steps on a Cat.

If they are getting any Measurable lift from the tunnel I would be amazed the claim is they are pinching the air in at the sides 6”in fore to aft unless the Air up there is much heaver than normal.

Audio I am going to stop here been fun!

:D

Steve 1 02-09-2003 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Audio here is a shot of the wiring in that boat:p :p

Luxy60 02-09-2003 04:29 PM

Steve 1,
Interesting commentary. I have no idea whether you know what you are talking about or just speculating based simply on the information available via the web site. Which doesn't seem to be very detailed, nice video though!. Do you have knowledge of the detailed technical specifications of this boat or, perhaps, first hand operating experience from which to base your comments? Just curious. I understand the theory of lifting strakes but do you know that the DR is 24 deg. and constant to the transom?
"This has the convergence of a 24 degree mono hull." What does this mean?

Audiofn 02-09-2003 04:53 PM

Luxy60 Steve is a very accomplished boat builder. I am sure he will chime in later with his resume :D:D

Steve all that from a video :D:D Seriously and I am learning a lot hear so this is good for me so hopefully you do not mind me asking these questions. How do you determin that is a mono hull split out to a cat configuration. Seems if you want to sell a boat to the Gov. then that is the thing to do. Didn't they learn their lesson with the Blue Blunder? :D

Forward Recovery???? What does this mean?

A quality mono hull with twin Pro maxes. Well I can not comment on that but I do know that the Superboat that I raced on that was built back in 89 runs in the low 80's and is 30 ft long. That was with 2.5efi's so I would guess about the same performance out of Pro Max motors. Now put that on todays hull and I would hope for about the same if not more speed?

What do I get for a grade so far :D

Jon

Steve 1 02-09-2003 04:56 PM

When I researched this I went to the Patent and Trademark office Also

To check on the claims that was made on the Patent regarding the hull

The interesting thing was the use and referral to the Aronow Cat Technology that struck me as kind of dated. But that style of catamaran does have convergence like a Mono-Hull as it came from one!! Its all in the claims Read it!!

And why would anyone want to keep constant dead rise from transom and up the bow ?

I looked at all the videos and read the website info! Also.

Is there something I missed?? Like a Neutronium Bottom Coating??

Speaking of claims a 27 foot boat that runs in the sea with a 40 foot boat ?

Anything else?? BTW who did the math on the Boat? Seem's I struck a nerve here.