Notices

Sunsation Boats

Old 02-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunsation Boats

I talked to the rep at the Detroit boat show today, and he said they had to scrap the 32 innovater bottom after over 70 changes to the bottom. They developed a new bottom and are testing it the next two days at lake x. If everything goes well they will start working on the 39 footer with the same bottom as the 32 innovater (except longer of course), in the next couple days. He was optimistic, but said the original design just wouldnt turn, but it was fast as hell. I knid of wondered when I saw the pictures and it has no strakes, and he aggreeed and said the stability was horrible. Anyway, just some info. if anyone is interested. ( I was looking forward to seeing the new 39, but he said they would have it next year, Its been in the making for like 4 years according to the advertisments anyway.)
Old 02-09-2003, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

read what I posted on the 37OL thread - that 32 is what we were in. He bought it about 4 years ago at the detroit show. I remember meeting the owner of sunsation ( can't remember his name at the moment). He had concept drawings for the 39 back then.
I didn't see a big problem turning the boat, but you needed to watch your tabs and trim (don't you always?)
I liked the boat - aside from having to be a gymnast to use the head.
Sunsation gave him a good price - and a good boat, I know he hasn't had any problems with it, and he takes it to the sunsation group run every year.

and yes - that boat is fast as hell!!!
Old 02-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Registered

DK,

Was great meeting you yesterday and talking boats. The original 32 Innovator hull was a no go due to the reasons you stated and even after 37 modifacations we just wern't satisfied with the overall handling. Taking the new Michael Peters hull design should make for a great new bottom. It is being tested and dialed in Monday & Tuesday at Lake X with Merc and then its off to Miami with Merc to show case it at the Mercury Marine dock. ALthough the initial design failed, it was why we build the hull to test it for the SS396 & SS366 design. Always have to keep moving forward even though not everything happens the perfect way or on the perfect time schedule. The key though is to keep focus ahead which we always do and in the end, have one of the best new 39 and 36 hull designs the top folks in the industry can produce. Thanks again for stopping by and visiting with us and the many other great OSO folks that stopped by. Sure are a great bunch of people.

DaveSunsation
Old 02-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Registered

Dave
I loved the boat - great gauge layout great graphics cockpit interior was nice. I only ran it for a short time (maybe an hour).
I didn't see many problems in the handling - but we were in pretty sticky water on Maumee river and Lake Erie.
what I posted in the 37 OL thread had nothing to do with your boat - just driver error/inexperience - thats the point I was trying to make.
Good luck with the testing - and can't wait to see the 39!
any chance your gonna be able to put one of the 32's in F-2 this year - I've been looking forward to seeing that....

bouy
Old 02-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

bouyhunter I believe you are referring to the 32 "Dominator" as opposed to what dkwestern and DaveSunSation is speaking about which is the all new, yet to hit the street, 32 "Innovator".

Dave, a 366?...hmmmmm

Last edited by Reckless32; 02-09-2003 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Registered

reckless
Dominator-
you are correct - I apoligize if I gave any misinformation - but I really did like the handling and acceleration of the
Dominator. Dave builds a nice boat. I recall talking to him and he cares about his boats. My buddy bought one with a pair of 5.7's - which pushed right into the upper 60's low 70's just as promised.
He considered going to the 454's but the speed vs. weight wasn't worth the extra money. If I recall correctly that boat was also offered with 502's ( or more???) and would run in the upper 80's. Again, I hope I'm not misinforming - just going off memory.
I look forward to seeing what
Sunsation puts out next.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Registered

Team Sunsation F2-10 will back this year excited about making some noise with the rest of the great teams on the APBA Circuit.

Reckless, you don't miss a thing do you, I wondered if anyone picked up on that little item. I talked with Wayne tonight who was just arriving at Lake X and was peeling the shrinkwrap off the new incredible Michael Peters new hull designed 32 Innovator readying it for testing first thing in the morning. We're very confident and excited to pull the trigger on the next projects; SS396 & SS366. It has been a long hard fought growth step in the making and we've never been better,stronger and excited as we are today. It's gonna be a great ride, many of our great, great owners are right here with us and that's like frosting on a cake.

Hunter, I was with you knowing what you meant and thank you for the post. Yeah, that Dominator with 6.2's is a ton of fun with that power, 73 mph and every bit able to tackle the nasty, it seeks and detroys it, at a very very affordable price.

Was another great Day at the Cobo Hall Boat Show here in Detroit, I must say, our little OSO membership is not so little any longer. It reaches far and wide and is so great to see in the many different city's we visit, awesome people. Next week I leave for the St. Louis show and am really looking forward to meeting even more.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Registered

It's great to see a Boat company that does trial & error on a test boat and doesn't sell to the public until it's right, great job Wayne and Dave, Best of Luck!