Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Impending war + high gas =cheap boats? >

Impending war + high gas =cheap boats?

Notices

Impending war + high gas =cheap boats?

Old 02-12-2003, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Impending war + high gas =cheap boats?

Being in the market right now for a new (to me at least!) boat, I am curious to everyone's opinion regarding boat pricing. Specifically the used market. We all realize that in most parts of the country the market is somewhat seasonal, but is there or will there be an affect on boat pricing because of the high fuel prices and the impending war? Or will things stabilize and remain constant?
Old 02-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuel is cheeeep!!!!...i still spend more on engine/drive oil than fuel every weekend...i have a used '00 32 AT in GREAT condition...i have my low set price set and that's that's...i'll just have to keep it if no one buys it...i honestly would have thought the new boat market would have been hit more-so that the used???
Old 02-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Registered

look at my equation:
in the middle of war+very expensive fuel+ability-less mechanics+ability-less boat builders +xtra hi taxes +long part waiting times = do you think my boat is loosing its value ?!?
lol!
Old 02-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Registered

If the used boat market is not already depressed it will be even more if fuel stays here or higher. The economy is not so hot so I would think that will also help. Buy your boat up here where it is very seasonal and fresh water only. Fresh water adds 10% to the value of a boat but most people do not know this. I thought OSO gave you Drambuie On Ice? You want more now?
Old 02-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Registered

**** just say your going to buy my boat and i'll pay for everything down in the keys!! i sure am a sucker! what are you looking for SO???
Old 02-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Registered

I thought OSO gave you Drambuie On Ice? You want more now?
Yeah, I know. Never satisfied. That's what my wife tells me too!

Audacity: I like the "you will pay for everything" Idea!! I may (not sure as of today) have a deal on a Top Gun. At least I thought I did. We'll see.
This is more of a wondering everyone's opinion type of topic.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:46 PM

The market will be even softer for the 2 stroke out boards especially the large ones, everyone will want the 4 strokes since they get (claimed 30% better). As for big blocks, good question, personally I am glad I have a single not knowing what is instore for the summer. I think gas would really need to go through the roof before it would depress the boat market more, like $4 a gallon. gas bill is not bad compared to a drive or blown motor.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:10 PM
Registered

27:
That's always been my opinion. When you think about it, fuel is one of the cheapest things you put in your boat. I mean just think what some guys on this board pay just for stripper rental for a day!!
Most people might not think that way, however, so that was why I was wondering if anyone was panicking. I guess we will know more as time goes on.
I do know with absolute certainty that the bottom will drop out of the market exactly ONE day after I purchase a new boat.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:15 PM
Registered

dude,,,,i waz panicking when the NASDAQ screwed me in the spring of 00...how much lower can it go....maybe i will owe them $$$
Old 02-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by 27Fountain
The market will be even softer for the 2 stroke out boards especially the large ones, everyone will want the 4 strokes since they get (claimed 30% better).
Thanks to the wonderful engineers at Mercury, the new Optimax 2-strokes are said to be more fuel- efficient than any of the competing-size 4-strokes. They also weigh a lot less, and can move a boat considerably quicker. It was only a matter of time, and a necessity for them to compete with the Japanese.

Quick Reply: Impending war + high gas =cheap boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.