Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Truck Owners (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43117-truck-owners.html)

Sydwayz 02-11-2003 07:58 PM

You might consider going with the 2500 and SRW, and getting Air Bags for the rear. You will not have 100% of what the dually 3500 can offer you, but damn close.

I have Air Lift airbags on my 2500 Avalanche, and I will not have ANY truck without them from now on. I had them on my Tahoe too.

goob 02-11-2003 10:00 PM

jmackin,
I have a crewcab dually I drive every day. Have had a dually since 90. You get to the "wide ass" as a friend calls it, it is like driving a car. I can go through bank drive thru's and such no problem. Just make sure mirrors are adjusted and you will be fine. If you are in const. bisiness I would get the DRW's without question.
Mike

Scott 02-12-2003 09:19 AM

I drive a dually as my daily and will buy another one soon. It took some time to adjust. I am comfortable with it and have found a truck wash near my house that will clean it for 12.00! Go for it!

Audiofn 02-12-2003 09:43 AM

I have a crew cab dually and I love it. The ride seems to be just about right. I have a Ford by the way. Did have some tranny issues along the way but knock on wood they seem to be fixed. We will see when the weather gets warm and I start to tow again. The only thing I see as a problem with the dually is the parking. The turning radius is a joke and the thing is wider then most parking spots. SO if you do a lot of tight space driving then go with the SRW truck. Also today I got in a accicent due to the Duallys. A snow plow dude just clipped the rear quarter. No big deal just a very small crack in it that I will be able to fix. The guy was actually some one I knew so I said see ya later man and we both took off. However if I had a single rear wheel this would never have happened. Other then that I think that the Dually rides nicer then the SRW.

Jon

Pure Energy 02-12-2003 09:49 AM

Go for the crewcab short bed. I love my F-350 supercab, but the back seat area is too small, basicall useless except to throw garbage back there. The crewcab long bed is an awsome truck, but parking and navigating tight areas are a pain. Unless GMC offers the 4 wheel steering, then that may make a huge difference. Ford, GMC, Chevy, and Dodge are all good trucks, I think it is a matter of personal prefference these days.

I just ordered an F-350 crewcab dually shortbed with the new Powerstroke. I got the shortbed because it will be a daily driver.

jmackin 02-12-2003 05:25 PM

Thanks for the input guys. There are just too many choices nowadays. As much as these things cost and the fact that I'm probably gonna keep it for a long time, I just dont want any regrets.

jmackin 02-21-2003 01:05 AM

Not that anyone cares, but I just picked up my new ride. Went with a crew cab short bed because of the versatility,shorter wheelebase & turning radius(than extended long box) for manuvering a work trailer. I went a little nutz & got everything on it except the DVD player(LT W/leather). Why the hell not, you only live once right!:)

stevel 02-21-2003 01:29 PM

I have a crew cab, long bed, dually. BUT, It is not my daily driver.

If you plan to have any adults in the back seat for more than an hour you will need the crew cab. It is worth the extra foot of length.

The fenders are wide, and the truck is a pain if your local shopping areas are crowded. You will almost always have to back up a little to get in a tight parking spot.

GM makes a neat new four wheel steering system that may be worth checking out.

I think the tow ratings for the 2500 and 3500 are the same.

Steve

Wardey 02-21-2003 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to buy a Dually first. After I drove one for a week I took it back and ordered my F350 4x4 Single wheel deisal. The dually is a b*tch to drive daily through bank drive throughs and the like. It was definatly a more stable ride but I like my F350 single just fine. Wardey

Sydwayz 02-21-2003 02:41 PM

GM & Dephi 4 Wheel Steering is only available on 5 trucks in 2003:

Suburban 6.0L 2500
Yukon XL 6.0L 2500
Sierra Denali
Sierra 1500 HD
Silverado 1500 HD

I was waiting for it to be on the 2500HD, D/A; but we are still 1 or 2 years from that happening.