Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Street Bike Days coming to an end..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43132-street-bike-days-coming-end.html)

Dock Holiday 02-11-2003 11:45 AM

Wardey,

I feel the same way. I have owned a total of four bikes and rode to my mid twenty's without an injury.

I really don't want to push my luck on the highway anymore. It has become far too dangerous.

Just this morning I learned the a vendor and friend layed his Honda Interstate down last Sunday and is in the hospital with a few broken bones.

He just started a new business last year and I know he cannot afford to be off.

They are fun and there are many things we do everyday that are dangerous, but I believe bikes pose the highest risk.

Mark

388Hustler 02-11-2003 12:06 PM

I have a Fat Boy and used to ride all the time. A semi pulled out in front of my buddy who was riding 55 mph. Luckily he survived but lost a leg, most of his teeth, and the movement in his left arm. I haven't ridden it since and will probably sell it.

Wally 02-11-2003 12:13 PM

Originally posted by packinair
I have a zx-7r sitting in my garage that has not moved in almost 3 years. last time it was out I caught myself racing a friend down the center turn lane WELL into the triple didgets with my wife on the back.....I slowed down, turned around putzed back home and have not riden after that
Same bike...same story....no passenger though....and ditched a cop to boot!! :eek: Never rode again after that and sold it a month later......I'll stick with boats from now on thank you! :D

Sydwayz 02-11-2003 12:22 PM

I had a really bad scare on my last one several years ago. I slid it on the 495 Beltway at 80+ in a diesel and oil slick from a Peterbuilt that had blown its engine. I turrned white as a ghost, and sold it three weeks later. I may have another one day, as Neda wants one too, but it will be strickly for occaissional riding out in the country.

cuda 02-11-2003 03:12 PM

The reward just isn't worth the risk. What may be a minor fender bender in a car can be fatal on a bike. Last year a guy was riding with his girlfriend on his Harley, he wasn't speeding or anything. His GF said something to him, and he turned his head to hear her. His front wheel caught the curb, and threw them. She was thrown free, but the bike landed on him, caught fire, and burned him to death.

PhantomChaos 02-11-2003 03:16 PM

Been down twice in 10 years of riding (neither with a helmet on) and didn't want to experiance "third times a charm". Haven't been on one in years.

BAJA WILL 02-11-2003 03:30 PM

Add me to the list, ZX-6, layed it down in 1994 I was a freshman at UT Knoxville. Put me in the hospital, road rash and cracked shoulder, I was 18 it was almost over before I even got started. I rode for another year and sold my bike. I love bikes but I love life more.:(

Will

mcollinstn 02-11-2003 10:36 PM

Lost a friend in 7th grade to a dirtbike collision (2 bikes met head-on on a blind trail).
Lost a friend in 10th grade to a streetbike wreck (car pulled out of driveway, friend swerved into telephone pole).
Lost a friend at age 22 freak motocross accident.
Lost a friend on a 4-wheeler dirtracing accident.
Lost an acquaintance in a 4-bike pileup roadracing.

Was riding at the same time and at least in the same area, and sometimes directly in front or behind, as all of the above.

Been down countless times in the dirt. Mild to hospitalization consequences.

Been down 4 times on roadrace courses. No significant injuries.

Been down twice on public roads (once when 8, other time 10 years ago - no cars nearby).

I've probably used up my cup of luck, but I still love bikes. Will probably have to give road bikes up at some point. I feel the ONLY survivable streetbike is a 375 pound 150 horsepower bike with 13" diameter brakes and razor handling. Got to be able to change velocity and direction QUICKLY.

A cruiser bike looks fun, but I would feel incredibly vulnerable on one. Would also be worried that the comfort would translate into a mentally-relaxed state while riding - I consider that to be a dangerous combination.

Soon, my deterioration of reflexes will negate any of a bikes' capabilities and I will have to either ride cruiser bikes or give em up. Hopefully I will choose wisely.

Sounds like a lot of you guys are doing exactly that...

Wardey 02-11-2003 10:42 PM

I just wanted to add that I have been riding since I was 9 years old, and am 39 now, 40 in March. My son of 14 years of age has been riding since 4 and have already told him he will never ride a street bike as long as i'm alive.Motorcross bikes to me are a little safer. The rule goes, you ride, you ride hard, you will get hurt. I'm still nursing my left collar bone form a year ago and a left knee. But I have a problem like most that has to be the fastest, ride the wheeelie the farthest and sooner or later it bites you in the a**. This to me is minor. Wraping a bike at 60 or70 into a careless drivers Big Cadilac is unforgiven. To sum it up, I got stupid alot of times showing off and these times are over. I guess I am an old man know but I still want to ride my YZ250F as much as I can. Well, they probably aren't over and I will still get the urge. Hell I got it now, I might pop the old 250 off the satnd a ramp throught the neiborhood tonight yet. Anyhow, just be careful and make excellent decisions. Wardey

KCHOTBOAT 02-11-2003 11:18 PM

I will never get on a bike again. I spent two weeks in IC and almost lost a leg. I like bikes but they are not for me.