Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long) >

Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long)

Notices

Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long)

Old 02-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmmm- I love Formulas- great boat and even better factory support.......

But have you looked at a good used BlackThunder?
Old 02-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Registered

When did the 37 come out?? Can you hold off till the summer and start looking for a used 37?
Old 02-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Registered

first production year for the 370SS was 2001, that's why you don't find too many used ones yet.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make your best deal on a new one first. You will be surprised what they might take if you walk in holding a 10k check for dep. Even if have to go to a dealer leftover. I never dreamed I could afford a new 38 PQ till I got REAL serious with the owner of the dealership. Dont mess around with salesmen, go right to the top. The warranty and customer service is alot better for original owners also.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Registered

Well, we just got back from the Detroit boat show - they had a new 370 SS, and all I can say is, DAMN, that is one FINE boat!! I wouldn't even let my wife go near it!

Bro, you can't go wrong with either one - I'd have to say that new might be the way to go... warranty does come in hand... and those painted hullsides are just killer!
Old 02-11-2003, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought here, but a friend of mine owns a 400SS and has never had an issue with the drives. I guess if it is "hammered" a lot and really press the throttles from dead stop... then yeh, you could probably break something...but then you would be asking for it too. Any heavy boat will be the same way.
You say you will overnight two nights a week, so I think you would really regret not having the extra space & the smoother ride of the 400SS. I just can dream of one .... man those are nice!

Old 02-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Been on both, and actually think the 370 is the better boat. 400 has only a small amount of extra room and the 370 is "plenty good" in the midcabin space once you plop in the narrowish entry. Without a tape measure, I'm almost convinced the cockpit space is identical (I know its not, but side by side they feel awful close).

I really think you should invest in a lift (another $12 grand) cause you will end up with scaly chalk blisters on your drives and hull stains that will kill your resale more than the cost of the lift.

You'll also lose right at 4mph with the inwater bottom, regardless of how clean you think you are getting it.

496's had a corrosion issue in an exhaust fitting - mid 02's and newer use a plastic fitting that doesn't fail. Other than that, they've been decent motors to all who have them around here (freshwater).

400SS around here with B3's went thru 3 drives in 400 hours.

And Imron lasts like you wouldn't believe. Great stuff (I like the blue)...
Old 02-12-2003, 06:54 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long)

Originally posted by 96Vyper
Am I dumb for even thinking of buying a new (expensive)
Yes
Old 02-12-2003, 07:15 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

The new Bravo3X drives should be plenty strong on any 370 or 400,even with HP500's
Old 02-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Registered

Originally posted by jmackin
Make your best deal on a new one first. You will be surprised what they might take if you walk in holding a 10k check for dep. Even if have to go to a dealer leftover. I never dreamed I could afford a new 38 PQ till I got REAL serious with the owner of the dealership. Dont mess around with salesmen, go right to the top. The warranty and customer service is alot better for original owners also.

I read through this whole thread, and this guy hit the nail right on the head. If you are seriously considering buying NEW, let them know upfront that you have a couple 400s you are seriously considering, then low blow them with your offer. 9 times out of 10 if you walk away, they are gonna wanna talk.

If that doesnt work out, the depreciation factor would be the big factor if it was me. The used boats already took the biggest depreciation hits they will take in their existence. I doubt that the space issue on the 370 over the 400 would be that big of a deal. Hell, I spent a Friday till Sunday on a buddies open bow Maxum this summer, and we had plenty of room!

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on Formula boat purchase (Long)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.