Notices

OT: New scam?

Old 02-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: New scam?

After reading the scam posting the other day, I received this in the mail. This guy states that the US Government is holding a insurance refund check for an old property that we owned. For 20% he will research it and get the check issued. I have not and will not send him any money, but I can not verify that is a scam or not. I've called mortgage co, insurance co and state insurance office and each said they doubted it was legit but couldn't say for sure. Any ideas who I could contact? Thanks
Old 02-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just tell him sure he can have 20% and when you cash the check you will give him his share. Get something in writing that says he gets his 20 %. That should make him happy. If You have to put money up than it is a scam. Their are people that search out money that is owed to people that was forgoten. These people have you sign a contract that says that they get their ( finders fee). You get the money that you wouldn't otherwise have. REMEMBER if you have to do anything but sign his fee contract it is a scam. And if it is a large amount of $ - Have your attourney look at the contract.

Last edited by Tinkerer; 02-12-2003 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Registered

Some of these claims may actually be legitimate, but most of this unclaimed property (typically not real-estate) is held by the state. You dont mention which one you're from, but in NJ after say a bank account is flagged as abandoned (no activity for 3 years(recently changed from 10)) is claimed by the state. They will collect the interest, until you contact them letting you know you want it back. Before they take it, they have to send registered letters, work with you bank, etc. The state already has a staff available on the payroll to help you claim your funds. NJ has a web site to check your name at NJ unclaimed property link I ran my last name through there, and the system found something! It said i had some unclaimed property!!....no, wait......It was my MOM

She filled out an online form, and awaits an answer. Your 20% guy would only have to fill out a form, have the state do the rest of the work and make a killing. Simple answer, check it out for yourself.

Wonder if my mom will hook me up with %20 ???
Old 02-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Registered

I live in Oklahoma and have already checked out the State's unclaimed property. The letter states it is Federal. I sent the letter to a buddy who is an attorney to look at. I did contact this guy via email and he said his company consists of himself and 1 pt employee. He stated that if I sign the contract and have it notorized that I can forward payment once I receive the refund. Still seems alittle fishy. But who knows, anyway it is not a large sum just over $500. Thanks for the help.

I've been a lurker here for a while as I try to gain info so I can step up from the family bowrider to a performance boat.
Thanks again
Jake
Old 02-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hmm, Federal? I'd start with the state Comptrollers office. If there could be something at the Federal level, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Registered

Contact yor state attouny generals office. They are always on the lookout for scams.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Registered

Well I guess this guy is legit, except for the fact that you can do this yourself. I finally found my name on a HUD list of unclaimed funds for the amount he stated. Thanks for the heads up buddy. Anyway thanks for the advice and I'm filling out the forms as we speak.
Jake
Old 02-13-2003, 03:57 PM
GMScott

Originally posted by jnorvell
Well I guess this guy is legit, except for the fact that you can do this yourself. I finally found my name on a HUD list of unclaimed funds for the amount he stated. Thanks for the heads up buddy. Anyway thanks for the advice and I'm filling out the forms as we speak.
Jake
Jake - If you purchased a house thru FHA, they had some kind of mortgage insurance "MMP something" that was pro-rated thru the entire mortgage.

If you changed the mortgage by either selling the house or refinancing you may have a balance left with the mortgage insurance. In order to get the remaining balance you would have to fill out a special form to request it. This is where all the "lost" monies come from. It is a legit offer, however there's really not much of a balance left after about 5 - 8 years.