Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   when tackling a big project............. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43265-when-tackling-big-project.html)

SLINGSHOT 02-12-2003 07:53 PM

when tackling a big project.............

which is the best order to start ......engines,drives glasswork paintwork, interior rigging or what? any answer greatly appreciated to give some forward motion

Ted G 02-12-2003 08:03 PM

I don't know if it's right but here is how my partner and I are doing it. Glasswork(filling transom holes and minor body work), paint, rigging, interior, and graphics.

Tonto 02-12-2003 08:19 PM

Sling
When I did my 41 a couple of years ago, I started with the paint because it was the biggest ugly part and the engines ran fine. Well, then I hurt an engine and decided to pull them out and freshen them up. Well, while the engines are out I decided to do the gauges and dash. Well, while the dash is out why not do the cockpit. So, as you can see, I didn't really have a plan, it just kind of worked out that way.
I guess if I had to schedule the work, I would get all the hardware out/off the boat that needed to come out/off. Do any glass work and paint prep, and before painting do any rigging that needed to be done. While all that is going on have the cockpit at the upolstery shop getting done and the engines/drives being looked at. Then get the boat to the paint shop for painting and then after painting all the other stuff should be ready to go into the boat :cool: .
Sounds easy huh? Good luck with your boat and I hope that it turns out great.
Robert

SLINGSHOT 02-12-2003 08:34 PM

MY SCHEDULE IS GOING AS FOLLOWS
1. STRIP(ITS GOING TO BARE FIBERGLASS)
2.GLASSWORK
3. PAINTWORK
4.INTERIOR CHECK FIT(MAKE ANY CHANGES-RE COVER)
5. REBUILD ENGINES AND DRIVES
6. RE ASSEMBLE ENTIRE PACKAGE

EVERYTHING IS EITHER BEING RE CONDITIONED OR REPLACED...........

Tonto 02-12-2003 08:50 PM

Sling
Are taking all the wiring out also? Are you staying with the trips? Should be a great boat when your done, just don't get in a hurry or things will go wrong, that's what happens to me anyway.
Robert

SLINGSHOT 02-12-2003 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Tonto
Sling
Are taking all the wiring out also? Are you staying with the trips? Should be a great boat when your done, just don't get in a hurry or things will go wrong, that's what happens to me anyway.
Robert

EVERYTHING IS BEING OR WILL BE REDONE, IF IT IS TOO CORRODED OR WORN IT WILL BE REPLACED, AND IF IT TAKES TWO YEARS AND A TON$$$$$$$$$$$$ IT WILL BE A SHOWPIECE WHEN DONE...AND I AM KEEPING IT ORIGINAL TRIPLES

Tonto 02-12-2003 08:55 PM

COOL Should be a great, is a great boat, only like brandy new when your done.
Robert

572scarab 02-12-2003 09:35 PM

why do you want to strip the gel coat of all the way down to the raw fiberglass?

puder 02-13-2003 01:47 AM

will there be any shipping of parts over thecourse of this project?
i'm in florida till the 24 but it would be good if my parts arrived (coated or not) shortly after i return.

when your boat is done it will be trick.

BattleCry 02-13-2003 01:56 AM

Goodluck bro! Its going to be a tough fight. But the end result will be wonderful. Like Tonto said before DON"T GET IN A HURRY!:)