If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Platinum Member Platinum Member mcollinstn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 F311SR1
    My aluminum flexes a bit unloaded. With the boat on it, it's like a rock (F311SR1). Fits the boat great. Doesn't float. Has stainless Nylock nuts over stainless split lockwashers on quality stainless bolts.

Sure, it's a good idea to give the wrench a good pull on them once a year.

As far as letting the air out of tires for floaters, are you sure this works??? A tire/wheel combo at 75 psi actually weighs more than the same setup at 5 psi. It DOES expand the tire carcass a bit, but is it enough to matter? Obviously, when the boat is on the trailer, the squashed tires will be denser, but when unloaded I'm not sure. Not arguing, just questioning.

If you've done this and it works, then great. Just seems like a bit of a hassle. Why not get two 4' long pieces of PVC pipe and fill them with gravel or concrete and glue the end caps on. U-bolt one on each side of the inside I-beam at the rear of the frame beams. Will dang sure add a lot more effective weight than the air pressure mod PLUS the weight will be on the sprung section of the frame, not the unsprung (wheel/tire/axle). It will also be there always not making you carry a pump with you and/or destroy your tires.
    I see London, I see France...

Goodyear makes a Workhorse bias ply trailer tire, just replaced the ones on my MYCO.

Member #154 Platinum Member Indy's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Missing my PowerPlay
    SW CT & Long Island Sound
    Originally posted by East Coast B

As for painting galvanized, I've painted my galvanized tire rims a metalic silver and the paint has held up perectly. No pealing... Just have to take care when taking the lug nuts on and off. I have always waited a year so the galvanization wore a bit before applying the paint. My current rims are 3 years since painted, still fine.
    I have to install galvanized rims on my trailer also. What type of paint and primer did you use? Thanks

Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    Couldn't get a good pic where the boat is parked right now, here is one from this summer, doesn't show rims very well, but you can see they don't look the dullish grey.... Long as the galvanized is weather enough and cleaned to move residual oils, I haven't had any problems with the paint adhering....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Regulator VIP Member Sydwayz's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37' Active Thunder AVH; 17' Speedliner Cat OB
    My Rocket floated. I added weight to it with dumbells.
    Do a search on floating trailers. Lots of info on past threads.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123