Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no? >

Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Notices
View Poll Results: Synthetic oil or not?
Yes I use synthetic oil
65.72%
No I do not use synthetic oil
30.57%
Hell, I don't even know where the oil cap is
3.71%
Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Old 08-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Do your homework on oils, you'll find by far the most superior and highest grade of oil for marine use is SWEPCO oils. Have done alot of research as well as talked to several engine builders who now swear by it. Call Sepco and compare their data and oil analysis tests with all other, I have several friends who swore by royal purple who have now changed over and have experienced prolonged friction protection, higher WOT speeds, The oil is as good with 25 hours as it is brand new. Do some research and you'll never use anything else. Wiggler
Old 08-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
Do your homework on oils, you'll find by far the most superior and highest grade of oil for marine use is SWEPCO oils. Have done alot of research as well as talked to several engine builders who now swear by it. Call Sepco and compare their data and oil analysis tests with all other, I have several friends who swore by royal purple who have now changed over and have experienced prolonged friction protection, higher WOT speeds, The oil is as good with 25 hours as it is brand new. Do some research and you'll never use anything else. Wiggler
Lube base stocks (of petroleum origin) continue to constitute a major part of today's lubricant. These are complex mixtures of paraffinic, aromatics and naphthenic hydrocarbon type molecules, ranging in carbon number from 14 to 40+.

Different processing configurations involving replacement of dearomatisation, dewaxing and hydrofinishing steps have been developed. Hydrocracking / hydroisomerisation enabled the refineries to produce High Viscosity Index (designated as VHVI or X-HVI) paraffinic base stocks / oils that are comparable in performance to synthetic base fluids. Paraffinic base stocks are preferentially used to formulate most of the world's automotive and industrial lubricants, including engine oils, transmission fluids and gear oils, due to their better oxidation stability, higher viscosity index and lower volatility relative to comparable viscosity grade naphthenic base oils.

http://swepcousa.com/lubesite/products/h306.htm

They are "paraffinic base stock oils" and are considered group III bases and not PAO's or esters. Supposedly, though....American Airlines uses them in their jets..

I would like to see what additives it has..it's an $8.00/qt oil I believe. Why use it over a PAO or ester?

This compnay makes mostly industrial products and is looking at expanding?

We need data and some UAO's of virgin oil.

Not sure.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-04-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502SCS
I also found that 15-50 M1 1 gal was off the shelves in all 3 walmarts around here. Only quarts. How's 10-40 M1 ? They still have it in gal's

They are shuffling the line up... You should see the 15w50 back on the shelves soon.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Registered

502SCS

Also if you want. I can hook you up with an ExxonMobil distributor in your area. Sometimes we can beat the deals that are at Walmart. I think a few OSOers on here can attest to that. PM me and I can get you a list of where you are at. If you are in Indiana, we can try and take care of you.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Craig...what is your scoop on Swepco?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered

Been around a long time and have never heard of them?!?!

Wait, I am only 24... I asked my old man. He worked for Mobil b/f he purchased the business. He's been around for 30 plus years with GPI and Mobil. Never heard of them either.

Last edited by vandy021; 08-04-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by vandy021
Been around a long time and have never heard of them?!?!

Wait, I am only 24... I asked my old man. He worked for Mobil b/f he purchased the business. He's been around for 30 plus years with GPI and Mobil. Never heard of them either.

Most nobody on Bob's site knows about this product that was only available commercially and now offered for automotive use. I don't know a thing about it...I like to know first...how much ZDDP? What detergents? etc...

Maybe sticking with a tried and true product is for you... and you know what they are by now......maybe you like to try new things...up to ya 'all
Old 08-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Registered

502SCS

Also if you want. I can hook you up with an ExxonMobil distributor in your area. Sometimes we can beat the deals that are at Walmart. I think a few OSOers on here can attest to that. PM me and I can get you a list of where you are at. If you are in Indiana, we can try and take care of you.
Craig is one of the good guys on the board.
His price on V-Twin is excellent and he is a
trustworthy individual.
Dennis

Last edited by StrikinLightnin; 08-04-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Registered

They are shuffling the line up... You should see the 15w50 back on the shelves soon.
Great to hear ! ... I guess this change will be M1 10-40 ...

Last edited by 502SCS; 08-04-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

Swepco is less than 6$ quart. I'll have my rep post the exact specs on the oil. The ingredients are labeled on the product. They use the absolute best ingredients available. Not asking everyone to believe me, just check it out for yourself. There are OEM's using it exclusively. It works , Several of us high performance LOTO boaters have changed and love it, picked up 2 mph with Swepco oils. call them and they'll tell you what you want to know.

Quick Reply: Poll: Synthetic engine oil or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.