Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best Wide screen TV Monitor for under $3000?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43569-best-wide-screen-tv-monitor-under-%243000.html)

Risk Taker 02-17-2003 09:47 PM

Don't mean to butt in on your thread GD, but I am looking at a 51" Mitsu with a built-in HDTV receiver, and was wondering how this compares with an external HDTV receiver ????

Thanks

Cigwillie 02-17-2003 10:01 PM

Not to be a jerk, but

I would never buy a Toshiba. They were convicted of selling top secret info. about our submarine propellers - endangering our servicemen and our country. Toshiba was banned from selling any goods in the USA for either 3 or 5 years. I have no clue why we would ever let them sell anyting here again. Probably ex-congressmen lobbyist bastards.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok, I'm done ranting now. Carry on.

Audiofn 02-17-2003 10:43 PM

Not to bad there is a disc you can buy by Joe Cane. It is called Video Essentials. It walks you through how to set up your theater. ISF calibration for your set for some one that is good is 800 bucks. If you spend the time yourself and fallow the video you can get it close. From there you can slowly fine tune it. You can go and look at the high end stores and get a feel of what a good picture is. The most important thing is the ability to reproduce a true black. Next is a good contrast ratio. This can only be told however with a trained eye. There is NO standard for measureing this so you can not really read specs.

Risk Taker Give me a call and I can hook you up with that set!!! The one thing about the internal tuners is that they often times do not have the Sat tuners built in. Some do, some do not.

The Mits does HDTV a little better then the Sony I think but the Sony does non HDTV images beter. You can not really go wrong with either one.

As far as Hitachi making all the stuff for everyone that is 100% false. All the sets are vastly different. I sell Runco projucts and I hear all the time how they are all just re-baged (insernt name of manufacturer hear). Well then some one will have to tell me why the Runco is the best image in the industy. The only people that slam it are the ones that can not offer it. :D:D

Jon

Bulldog 02-17-2003 11:56 PM

Last spring I bought a Sony 57" HDTV along with an Onkyo 600 watt receiver, progressive scan DVD player, and Bose AM-15 speaker rig. The picture on the Sony is Beeeyoooteefulll. It is literally like looking through a window. The surround sound is wierd in that we hear 'noises outside' when watching movies. I have not shot anything in my yard, yet...

Bulldog aka Ronnie

Iggy 02-18-2003 05:21 AM

I may be a little biased but look into Philips (Magnavox). They not only make home systems but their main buisness is commercial grade AV projectors.
I have a 61" rear projection that's 10 years old now. Never had a lick of trouble, never needed convergence adjusting. Just an annual cleaning of the screens, mirror and lenses.

Things to look for:
Check for brightness of the picture, listed in lumens.
Check for lines of resolution.
Check for max viewing angle. Some projection systems have a narrow viewing angle, the picture will fade out as you move to either side.

When I bought mine it had the brightest picutre and one of the best resolutions of all.

Don't forget that a 61", like mine, should be viewed from more than 12' away. Make sure you have the room.

BillR 02-18-2003 07:00 AM

Been in the business over 28 years. STAY AWAY FROM TOSHIBA!

Best bang for the buck is Zenith. I have a Zenith ($2900) next to a Sony ($4000) and a Pioneer Elite ($4500) the Zenith smokes the Sony and almost rivals the Pioneer Elite.

Buy a Zenith!

388Hustler 02-18-2003 07:15 AM

I have a Hitachi HDTV (widescreen) and love it. The picture is perfect and I have encountered no problems. I would recommend to anybody. I'm not an electronics expert, but my picture is as good as any others I've seen.
Dean

FWK 02-18-2003 07:49 AM

I ahte to say this as I seel the TV's also but Costco has the 64" Pioneer for 2599.00.

mlitefan 02-18-2003 08:08 AM

Why all the "stay away from Toshiba" quotes? I didn't know about the selling of secrets but from a hardware standpoint, is there a reason behind these remarks?

BTW...Too late for me. I purchased a Toshiba Cinema Series 50HX81 50 in. TV just over a year ago.

Sea Ya 02-18-2003 08:18 AM

Sony XBR- best picture I've ever seen.