Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Wide screen TV  Monitor for under $3000?? >

Best Wide screen TV Monitor for under $3000??

Notices

Best Wide screen TV Monitor for under $3000??

Old 02-19-2003, 07:44 AM
mlitefan

Audiofn, didn't the Toshiba Cinema series rate very high compared to their competition?

Old 02-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the real problems with the Toshiba's that I have seen are that they BLOOM very badly. What is Blooming? It is when the whites are not controlled by the set. ALL sets bloom, but some are definatly better then others. If you put a line up the middle of the picture, one side of the line white and the other black, you will see the white intrude on the black. What does this mean in a TRUE watching condition? Loss of contrast and clarity. Again guys you have to realize that I do VERY high end video (just speced a theater for 330,000 bucks) so I am probably getting WAY more picky then most. Another reason that I like the Sony and Mits is Frankly if I was to put HDTV into any tv set most of you all would be blown away. You are not used to looking at it. It is easy to make a HDTV look good to people that do not look at it all the time. The real test especially now is how does the set look when it is not HDTV. Put a DVD and or a vcr tape in there and see how it looks.

Jon
Old 02-19-2003, 08:09 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

330000 man thats not chump change
Id go the 130000 route and spend the other 200000
on a really nice Boat
Old 02-19-2003, 09:53 AM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any comments on this ????

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=25
Old 02-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Iggy
I may be a little biased but look into Philips (Magnavox). They not only make home systems but their main buisness is commercial grade AV projectors.
I have a 61" rear projection that's 10 years old now. Never had a lick of trouble, never needed convergence adjusting. Just an annual cleaning of the screens, mirror and lenses.

Things to look for:
Check for brightness of the picture, listed in lumens.
Check for lines of resolution.
Check for max viewing angle. Some projection systems have a narrow viewing angle, the picture will fade out as you move to either side.

When I bought mine it had the brightest picutre and one of the best resolutions of all.

Don't forget that a 61", like mine, should be viewed from more than 12' away. Make sure you have the room.
\

I am glad to hear you have had good luck out of your philips, I just bought a 55" Philips wide screen HDTV about 4 months ago. Hope I get that kind of service out of mine!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Registered

I just bought an Hitachi 65" widescreen Ultravision and the picture is awesome!! I originally bought a 65" Sony and the picture sucked unless you were watching HDTV or a DVD. I made the place I bought it from take it back at the Hitachi is much better.

I also have a Sony XBR and the picture on it is great. I have been told that on a non-projection TV the Sony is the way to go, and on a projection either Hitachi or Pioneer is the way to go. As far as Plasmas I think the Pioneer has the best picture I have seen. Just my .02.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Registered

Originally posted by FWK
I ahte to say this as I seel the TV's also but Costco has the 64" Pioneer for 2599.00.
FWK,
If that is the PRO720HD then everybody on this board should run out and buy one. I have been shopping for this TV for about a month and the cheapest I can find it is in the $5300 range. Do you happen to know what model it was?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-21-2003, 08:04 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Well... After about 6 hours of chatting with 5 sales persons I have decided on the Mitsu - 48311.

That goes for $1999.99, Service plan = $299 (4 years) and all the rest of my budgeted $3000 will go to voltage regulators and those "Monster" cables they tell me are "Strongly suggested"

Thanks for all the help guys...
Old 02-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Registered

I got approval to sell the $8000 three month old Runco projector for $2900. It is a DLP and will play 84 inchs with great resolution and can easily go larger. I cant out in on ebay as it is against dealer agreement. Has full manufacturer warranty.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:03 PM
NotTOOBAD

Audio...I thought the Toshiba's were supposed to be one of the better sets for viewing SDTV. From what I read, they convert incoming signal to 540p by way of a faroudja converter. Also, from what I have been able to see in the big box stores, by way of lousy antennas usually, they are no worse than the rest. I do like the combination of stretch they have fill the screen with 3:2 programs.

I'm still liking that little 42" Toshiba cinema, but you've got me looking at the Mitsubishi too. Good info...thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Quick Reply: Best Wide screen TV Monitor for under $3000??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.