Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Wide screen TV  Monitor for under $3000?? >

Best Wide screen TV Monitor for under $3000??

Notices

Best Wide screen TV Monitor for under $3000??

Old 02-23-2003, 09:16 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interim Update

Well I just spent 9 hours and X number of Johnny Walker Reds disconnecting all me cables, moving my furniture and reconnecting (temporarily) my computer and old Mitsubishi in anticipation of arrival of my new Mitsu WS 48311 upgradeable baby.

Gawd.. I just cannot make a neat bundle/harness with all the damn wires.
I eliminated a table/storage rack but now need a vertical component rack. I saw a great 6 glass shelve one for $700 at Sound advice.
Being that I don't have to make a payment for a year I plan on buying a Yamaha receiver (was$800 now $299) and a speaker system (my other one is a computer operated Creative Audigy 2-5.1.
My new mitsu comes in Wed and TW (I'm gonna switch back to DirectV) is bringing an HDTV box Thurs.
Surprisingly the sales person did not suggest cables only a surge protector and line equalizer(?) that is supposed to stop minute source voltage variations.
More reports later.

Man this is a great thred.. Thanks Jon et al!!!

Last edited by gdfatha; 02-23-2003 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah the art of making all the wires look good. That is why we get paid the BIG bucks

As far as the wires that I use, I use a lot of ULTRA LINK, APATURE, and some other stuff but it is system specific. Wire does matter there is no doublt about it. Monster just charges WAY to much for what you are getting. Are the wires that I sell cheaper? NO, they can be more, but for your money you are getting better image. The problem that you guys are faced with is you are buying a box and taking it home and you have no way to reference the effect that it is having on your system. Now this is coming from a guy that sells some high end stuff and this is my opinion. Unless your system is in the 30-40,000 buck range SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!! Put gas in the boat, buy a movie, buy the wife some flowers but YOU WILL NOT hear the difference with the audio wire. Video on the other hand, if you are going HDTV then get yourself a good set of RGB wires if that is the way you will hook it up, maybe a set for around 50 bucks is fine. All the rest of your wires can be the old ell cheapo's and you will be fine.

Yes you can hook up a wire to your system and MAYBE hear a difference, but if you do not have a reference to what is correct then you do not know if you made it better or worse. We have a number of installers in my area that charge their customers a arm and a leg for wire and then I find out it is just cheap wire and the customer has NO idea!!!! If a customer of mine spends 30-40K on a system then they will get about 3-4000 in wire. 100-150K and they will get about 15,000 in wire. We know what the equipment sounds like however and we match the wire to the equipment so that we get the best result.

Keep your money and get the cheap wire

Jon
Old 02-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh ya one thing that IS important with wire is the proper guage. Get wire that is to small and you will choke the bass responce and get all kinds of funky phasing issues.

Jon