If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Banana need to go faster???? help

have 1991 baja 240 es wondering how I can make it faster without spending lot fo money??????????
    Last edited by baja240-1; 02-18-2003 at 02:43 PM.

Registered Platinum Member THEJOKER's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Being a great husband and dad , boats , golf
    Lake Lanier - N. Georgia

Wink try start with

Try getting some weight out of the boat.

Make sure you prop the boat correctly.

Blueprinting the bottom could help.

Check your drive alignment - very important.

I hope this helps you - BH

My Boats:
    1990 Baja 190 DSR
    Lewis Center, Ohio
    What size motor now?

I agree with BH.

Do the free things first (weight, alignment)
    Blueprint the bottom
    add power

Charter Member # 55 Charter Member Griff's Avatar
    My Boats:
    ..........32........... Active Thunder

Re: need to go faster???? help

Originally posted by baja240-1
    have 1991 baja 240 es wondering how I can make it faster without spending lot fo money??????????

Make a boat go faster WITHOUT spending a lot of money?????

Thats a good one

Gone Fishin' Charter Member Waterfoul's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1988 Tracker Pro 17, 40 hp Mariner.....1972 Glastron GT 140, Merc 50 power!!!
    Grand Rapids/Holland/Grand Haven
    By 240 es, I'm assuming you are talking about the old 226 that was changed to the 240 es when the coasties decided to include swim platforms. If so, all mentioned above is a good place to start, but will only get you so far. We need some more information.

What power is in it now (be specific)??
    What prop are you running??
    Where do you usually boat?
    Define "not much money" for us.

Like Griff said, there really isn't much that's free about more speed. When you've thrown our all the extra sruff, aligned everything, etc... start with heads.... Clean them up (the combustion chambers), get a good valve grind, and some port work. Also, don't underestimate how much valve reliefs can give you more torque an hp, they help your motor breath better (JimV on this board has dyno proof that on a slightly more than stock motor, it will add nearly 30 hp!!). If your running a magnum motor, your intake is pretty good but you might want to up your CFM. A good Holley double pumper.....750 or so, should help out. Exhaust would be the next thing......stock exhaust will handle up to about 400 hp o.k. but over that you will need better exhaust. I've been thru all this before. Twice. Feel free to email me if you want. If you want to spend a little more money, a cam and lifter change will really wake things up. If you can do any of this yourself (the only way I can afford it) you will be surprised how "cheaply" you can do this as compared to paying a shop to do it for you.

[b]M Go Blue.......Gator boots, gator luggage, gator purses... all at cut rate deals!!!!

My Boats:
    1997 Fountain, 27 Fever
    Richmond VA
    Waterfoul hit it, I had a Checkmate 229 with 454 Mag. Added Holley 750DP, Edelbrock intake, Cam, Roller Rockers, Rect port heads, Crane Dist and MSD box. Made 475HP and was extermely reliable and strong setup. Not all that expensive to do either. Exhaust was next but sold it. Ran well with stock Manifolds though. Look through classified section some good deals on parts and complete engines. Good luck

Charter Member Charter Member rbtnt's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2001 28 Eliminator Daytona
    Central, Ohio USA
    Sharpen the transom edge at the bottom and check for a hook in the bottom. I've seen the "baja bounce" go away with a sharpened edge. Don't remove a hook if it has one without talking to someone who has done this type of work.

My Boats:

Re: need to go faster???? help

Originally posted by baja240-1
    well start with a little wax on the bottom and lab the prop/then get rid of those friends that don't kick in when boating will be glad to talk more in PROP TALK to see if we can make a difference? but need more info? motor/normal load conditions ect.