Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Smith Mountain Lake, VA controversy?... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43679-smith-mountain-lake-va-controversy.html)

mlitefan 04-08-2003 02:06 PM

Looking forward to catching everyone down at Kerr this summer. I am down there at least 2 weekends a month and sometimes more.

North Bend, County Line as well as Kimball Point are all great places to camp. I also have a buddy that plays live music on his deck most weekends and his place is legendary! (Palmer Point).

Kerr (Buggs Island) has over 800 miles of shoreline and PLENTY of open water...A great run would be from Clarksville to Satterwhite Point...The lake is fairly wide from end to end as well (compared to SML)

There are endless sandy beaches to raft up on when the water goes down a bit...Right now it is VERY high...310…298 is perfect…

Rick…hope to see you and the gang this year!

One last thing...Lake Gaston is the lake just below and is smaller but is more like SML with the homes and Marinas...30 minute ride on the trailer and you can put in Gaston...

SML is not the same lake I grew up on, that is for sure...nothing but red mud and trailers out there then...now, a million bucks buys you an average lakefront home...

BAJA WILL 04-08-2003 04:19 PM

Mlitefan,

Yea, its amazing how fast SML has, and is growing. However, I think realestate will taper off this summer, too many new developments and sluggish market. It really sucks that many people cannot afford to enjoy it now. I have wide range of friends and some are giving up on saving up for a house at the lake. Just got too expensive too fast.:eek:

However the lake is still a deal compared to waterfront property here around Naples:eek:

Will

mlitefan 04-08-2003 05:16 PM

Great point Will...Its all relative! :D
I understand there are still some good deals to be had and I am sure Condo's are plentiful. I hear about runoff issues as well with all the construction/septic...

I am in search of land on Kerr. I hope to be able to get something in the next year or so while it is still cheap (again, relatively speaking).

It is a Corps of Engineers lake and with 800 miles of mostly undeveloped shoreline, I can't imagine it will stay that way forever. Just too much money to be made and sooner or later, the regulations will ease and it too will become a highly valued play spot.

I still love SML and try to get out there once a year for 2 or 3 nights...Looks like July this year as my wife has her 20 year HS reunion...

Cignificant 04-08-2003 08:50 PM

mlitefan, believe it or not, I passed up 10 acres waterfront on Kerr about 7-8 years ago for $25K. Still kicking myself..

rbtnt 04-08-2003 08:54 PM

sorry to cut in, but are going to require mufflers during the SML pokerrun?

Cignificant 04-08-2003 09:03 PM

I'm assuming you mean the SML poker run, and I can assure you nobody (including myself) used them last year.

Sydwayz 04-08-2003 09:30 PM

From what I have read and gathered here, you have to have something covering the tube so they cannot stick a stick up there. I think rubber/metal flappers is good enough. Anyone know different?