Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Cover (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43797-boat-cover.html)

In-The-Red 02-20-2003 02:55 PM

Boat Cover

I'm looking for a full boat cover for a 1989 251 Checkmate Convincor. A full canvas, custom fit cover would run me about $1000. I've found a company that offers a 6.5 oz "marine polyester" semi-custom fit cover for under $300. I trailer my boat about 4 miles each way to the launch ramp. What are the pro's and cons between the canvas and marine polyester?

mopower 02-20-2003 03:33 PM

Been there , done that...along with some friends also. Those "semi custom" covers look GREAT in the ads , but you never seem to have the boat that it fits. I bought a cover from Overtons around 1997 or 8. It was a Hurricane cover made of "Sharkskin" . Best damned cover I ever had. Light weight and EXTREMELY water repellent. Fit like a glove ( not OJ's). They had over 6000 patterns. You give them the make model and year of you boat and it's made for yours. Took about three weeks and was shipped from the manufacturer in AZ.
Best part it was 1/2 the price of a custom cover locally;)

HOLY COW THIS MAKES 900 YAHOO>>>DOES 1000 make me and official post whore:confused:

Indy 02-20-2003 04:16 PM

Mopower is right...it's a Westland Sharkskin cover, I got mine through CP Performance. It was approx $400 for my 28. I got the generic fit cover, not the exact model they had for my boat and saved $200-$300 because of it. It fits fine and has taken everthing a season could throw at it (excluding winter). I would get one again, but I won't have to anytime soon because of the quality of the cover.

mopower 02-20-2003 05:41 PM

Yeah , it was a Westland cover...thought is was appropriate since it came from AZ:rolleyes: Didn't absorb any water and dried quickly after rain. Also had tie down loops all the way around plus an adjustable draw string in the edge for a tight fit:D
AND , I sold the boat in 2000 and still see it regularly where I launch and the present owner is still using it.

Gizmo 02-20-2003 05:57 PM

I bought a cover from Overton's, a Westland, for my SeaRay. It fit great. I think I paid about $450-475 for it. It had extra padding at points that rubbed the windsheild and the cleats. Had no problems towing with on the boat. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

Big E 02-20-2003 09:17 PM

Same here, I got mine through coversearch.com it was a sunbrella for a 29 Outlaw, I wanted the sharkskin but they did not have it in purple, so I moved up to the sunbrella, fit like a glove and water shed right off of it. I would have got the sharkskin though if it came in purple. I was a skeptic at first saying "mail order custom cover??", but I said the hell with it and ordered it anyway, best move I ever did, perfect fit!