Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trailer Tires? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43805-trailer-tires.html)

Robbie Racer 02-20-2003 08:04 PM

Thanks guys for the info. Mitchell the diameter of the 225/75R15 D rated Marathon is 28.3". I think I will need a diameter of 27" or less to keep from replacing the trailer fenders.

I currently have 14" Carlisles C rated but they are blowing because they aren't rated for the weight of the boat.

Robbie Racer 02-20-2003 10:11 PM

Shane, thanks for the info. You have had much better luck than I did with Carlisle. I sent back one tire and despite several follow up calls, they blew me off. I should have gone through Extreme first like you did. I'm sure they carry a lot more weight than I do. Yeah, let me know the size and maximum lbs. on the new tires and gave me the guys number. Thanks, R/R

97BossHammer 02-21-2003 07:30 AM

OK, I'm looking at it a little different now....I'll get what you guys suggested. I was thinking goodyear's but now I'm mixed about it. Whatever I do get I'll make sure to get the right load ratings and stuff. Basically the tires that are on it now are dry rotting. I bought this boat from Canada and it was pulled down here....tires looked ok but have just gone downhill since.

obnoxus 02-21-2003 09:09 AM

Now this makes no sence,,,, EVERYONE I know in Chicago that had Carlisles had them blow out on them,, my friend even had BOTH fiberglass fenders ripped off his trailer,,, one on the way to LOTO and one on the way back,, OUCH .

We all went to Goodyear Marathons and havent had a problem since,, they are only $60 through tire rack,,, not bad in my book.

jafo 02-21-2003 09:35 AM

Zero problems EVER with Carlisles here- on everything from car haulers to utility trailers, snowmobile trailers, and two different boat trailers.
The folks I know of that have had problems with them were:

#1) All on triple axle trailers with too light a load range tire for the weight carried on the trailer.
#2) Not inflated to max PSI as labeled on the tire.

IMHO, they make a very good and affordable radial ST if used correctly.;) :)

obnoxus 02-21-2003 09:48 AM

ours are all 26-28' on tandems,,, they were stock tires on the Eagle trailer.

Quality Time 02-21-2003 10:17 AM

Avoid Carlisles! I have gone through two sets in less than two years. One blew and tagged my trailer fender. I was told they had a bad run on tires and a lot of boaters and travel trailer owners had major problems. Spoke with one guy who was on his way to Lake Powell for a week long vacation when his Carlisle tire blew and knocked a hole in the side of his little pickle fork. So much for his vacation.

97BossHammer 02-21-2003 01:11 PM

good grief i'm confused ;) haha

Robbie Racer 02-21-2003 01:53 PM

Has anyone heard of Woosung tires? One tire dealer recommended them to me as the only 14" tire that had a higher max load rating at 2,095 lbs. that is 27" or less in diameter (to fit in my fender wells). He said that they are made in Korea and he puts a lot of them on trailers for heavier boats. He says they are a 8 ply tire. I have never heard of them.

birdog 02-21-2003 05:29 PM

I put Carlisles on every trailer i own. Never had a problem ?!
Always inflate to Max pressure on sidewall.
20 + years running them on lots of trailers...But...Who knows???