Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Blower Options & Longevity Questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/43867-blower-options-longevity-questions.html)

358player 02-21-2003 12:27 PM

Blower Options & Longevity Questions

I want to tap the OSO brain pool: I am looking to possibly install blowers (pro-charger, whipples, etc.) on my 35’ w/502’s. But my concern is that I don’t want to shorten the engine life or more importantly loose the dependability. Any comments from experiences in the field will be appreciated.

388Hustler 02-21-2003 12:38 PM

I put B&M 250's on my last boat and had no problems at all. I had about 75 hours on the 454 mags when I did the install. I put more than 100 hours on the engines with blowers before I sold it. I haven't heard from the guy that bought the boat, so I assume it ran fine.

How many hours are on your engines? If you already have a lot of hours, it may cause problems, if you don't freshen the engines.

bobby daniels 02-21-2003 02:50 PM

put em on every day !! Need all info on motors like 388 said above to get close ,but noone can tell you for sure you may have a part that can stand the load now but add nos or a blower and BANG! But if the motor is low time and you get a good ,Whipple Kit and leave it at 6lbs it should do great ,Ambusher has some on sale ??:D :D

358player 02-23-2003 08:30 AM

388, I have just under 100 hours on the motors... I guess I have to weigh out the options of either spending money on the retro for a blower to my motors, or just keep putting money aside and stepping up to the new 525s.
But any other thoughts are greatly appreciated, Thanks.

US1 Fountain 02-23-2003 09:31 AM

My 502 had a 250 blower installed at 50 hrs. Motor ran for another 350 hrs with absolutely no problem. Many times spinning 5800rpm. 5# boost. Motor was not 'blower' built. Intake removed, blower bolted on. Done. Stay conservative on the boost for turn key reliability.

Clay Washington 02-23-2003 09:49 AM

Whipple

Go for the Whipple! :D

Rumor has it that they are having a sale on all remaining side mounted superchargers, because they are going with the new top-mounted supercharger.

Stay conservative with the boost (6 pounds), and your engine will last a long time.

However, the outdrive is another issue...

388Hustler 02-24-2003 03:14 PM

358 - In my opinion, you SHOULD be ok with less than 100 hours on your engines. I would do it in a heartbeat. I also agree with Bobby and Clay, I wouldn't run more than 6 lbs. boost on stock engines. There is always a risk, but I have seen it done more successfully than not.

Make sure you talk to someone before you actually run the blowers. You have to keep a close eye on your fuel pressure.

I would also recommend a dual carb set-up. (if you run carbs) You can run one large carb, but I have seen a few problems with them. Again, in my opinion, the dual carbs would be safer...

You will need to make a few other minor changes to your boat. (cooling system, fuel pumps, plugs, props, etc)

Well worth the $$$.

Dean

bobby daniels 02-24-2003 03:25 PM

AMBUSHER ON BOARD HAS A HECK OF A DEAL ON WHIPPLES ,you should p.m. him I have several people who have bought from him

the whipple 502 will destroy the 525's and at 6 lns last if motors are taken care of :D :D :D

358player 02-24-2003 07:00 PM

Alright, so I see that conservative boost is the answer for engine life, so how about the manufacturer? Whipple, ProCharger, etc...
And how about numbers, I'm running a 358 sonic w/502mpi turning 70 on the button.