Notices

Super Cat Light Outboard

Old 02-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Racing organizations placing rules on the boat builders is Bull**** the class should be you bolt on two of these engines and go racing !

Class Weight and Length YOU KIDDING??? Again Bunk!! Who in the Hell Is SBI or APBA to be telling a Builder/Engineer how to format a boats size mass parameters. Without assuming some or all of the Liability!!

We should be free to build to any size in the interest of safety (up to the limit) so long as the power complies with the Class!!

I personally for a blue water cat 10 Meters is just a little short for a 100 + MPH boat. But in those days I had to build that length as the UIM wanted all the ‘S’ Boats to look the same size for some unknown Madness/Stupidity.

(Perhaps in Monaco there is something very wrong with the drinking water)I did so under Protest!
Old 02-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, $3000 and my old outboards from you, and you to can have 2.5's rebuilt lowers. Less hours then the 300's you have now.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:48 PM
Registered

Ryan,
APBA wants the OB's now but I had a talk with A. Corn and other inspectors in 2001 at the worlds and said in NO way would they allow anymore open cockpit boats in that class.
So do have a RULE change or is it just a money thing now? SBI said we could run(but also suggested canopies) but I need some NE dates to make it worth my while.
Doug
Old 02-25-2003, 08:21 PM
THRILLER

Talking

I guess I sould put my 2cents worth in, so here goes. In early 2001 eMotiondriver and myself spent a little over $28,000 re-rigging his 30 Motion to compete in the new SCL outboard class that was promised to us at the 2000 Worlds in St. Pete. Doug and I spend many hours and more $ dialing in this boat trying to match the performance of the similar boats running SBI. To make a long story short , first race of the season APBA wants season membership fees and race registration fees of over $2000.00 and they would not pay any prize money unless 5 boats show , they would not even consider just giving us back our entry fee if we could not get enough boats to run! 30,000 for a trophy class what a f'ing joke! The only way that we could race that type of class is if all members with the type boats described in this thread got together and formed our own class.

Old 02-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Registered

I have to agree with just about all you guys. SCLO is a great class for racing, but the truth is plain and simple. APBA does not want them, as well as Outlaw A and B. They are offering these classes to run only if they have a minimum of four boats pre-registered 30 days in advance. And if they get the opportunity to run, they still get NO PRIZE MONEY!!! Do I sense a problem here? The Silver Cup Series is losing racers to SBI due to these new rules. These are people who have been loyal to APBA for 20 years. Now they're getting pushed out. What happened to racing being for everyone? It's becoming so that you can only race if you own a Factory boat or a Super Cat or Super Vee. Us average joes can't afford that, as a lot of you can well understand. And the sad part about this is that I know a couple SCLO twins that could run competitively with the triples. Win? Maybe , maybe not. but if they want to spend their money and run----let 'em!!! But have some respect and pay out in the end. I also understand the canopy, no canopy debate. But again- isn't that the racers choice (and wallet). I understand the safety issue, but thats the chance you guys take every time they get in the boat. They know the consequences. There is a solution to every problem, and the fact that noone can come up with a way to include all boat types is beyond me. Sorry for rambling. I needed to vent. Come on guys- Can't we all get along?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:04 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I was told by an APBA official that they would allow non canopy boats on a boat by boat basis. I am sick and tired of people saying they aren't allowed to race or making up other excuses. If you want to do it show up! There are people that just talk and talk so WALK. If you wanna race come on out. SBI had lots of boats show up for there twin class, but with GB not running his boat it'll probably be differt. there are tons of boats out there for this class so if you have the means go out and get yourself one and bring the class back. mercury doesn't want to see the OB classes die, it's a great selling tool for them.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:28 AM
ragman

Default supercat light o/b

TO ALL SUPERCAT TWIN O/B OWNERS

I will pay you prize money and tow money if you bring me four
boats to the lake st.clair race .
Please go to the silvercupseries web site for info.
Now lets see who shows up, I'm giving you everything you want
plus some.

Thanks
Mike Raguso
Race Chairman Metrobeach

Old 02-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Registered

i'm really not too sure that APBA racers are going to SBI as a whole...the numbers do not reflect that. looks like some SBI'ers have come to the APBA this year....i guess well have to see....i also think that the turn out should be better this year at the regional level due to the new national rules....again we will see.

as some of you may know my good friend and driver for this year, phil, has raced outboard tripple cats for years...the class just seemed to fizzle...if you can't sell it to the media,,,your trying to swim up stream. i personally would love to run one!,,,i have never raced a O/B cat...but from what i gather, it's no cake walk if you want a national championship.

i have been all about having less classes in the pro series...i think it would make it a lot easier for fans and our sponsors.

mike has a great offer!
Old 02-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Registered

A company I'm associated with bid for the broadcast rights for SBI for this season. I can tell you from looking at the situation, there are too many similar boats running at each time on a given course that are in different classes. The reality is that there should be far fewer classes, maybe as few as 4 (2 cat classes and 2 V classes) with cats and Vs running the same venue on different weekends so that the fans can concentrate on only 1 class at a time and they can understand what they are watching.

If you want a television audience, then you need to make a program that the average man on the street can both follow and support. Having classes so that joe everyman can show up and indulge his race desires will not allow racing to raise its profile amongst the general public.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Registered

P.S. I'm personally a fan of the outboard racing classes.

Quick Reply: Super Cat Light Outboard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.