Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Stay in, or get out of boating? >

Stay in, or get out of boating?

Notices

Stay in, or get out of boating?

Old 12-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stay in, or get out of boating?

Well....Im wondering if its all worth it?
I spent all last summer + another $20K getting it back together only to use it twice at the end of the season with a drive that still has issues.
I also have grown bitter on the lack of support the Chicago area has for powerboaters.
Its always something, Drives, Noise, Too long...need a permit to tow down the local streets of the Marina, Insurance, Storage, and a big etc....$
Not to mention Beak bashing.
I've spent well over $100K on her cause its a hobby and my personal touches I wanted.
Everything that could have happen, did and Im gun shy now.
I have 2 year old twins now, that demand much of my wife and I.
I guess I need a pep talk.

Last edited by Back4More; 12-04-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: Stay in, or get out of boating?

You have to keep it now,you just about got it perfect! Get your drive issues worked out then get out and enjoy it this summer. Theres hardly no market for used boats right now anyways,why dump it at big loss,enjoy it some,Smitty
Old 12-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered

I dont think its a all or nothing question that you have to deal with. I truely understand the connection you have with your current boat and all the time, effort and emotion that youve put into it. There are alot of people here who do the same with theirs. And by reading the rundown on your boat in your signature line, its gotta be one exceptionally nice ride. But. To say its either keep what you got or get out is a bit overboard. To me the question would be which boat to scale back to. There are alot of boats in the 30+- range that would be easier to tow, cheaper to run and if equiped with a single, less to worry about breaking. Besides, it'd still have enough room to be comfortable when you do decide to head out with the wifey and the littleones. But, if your time gets held up with trips to Chuck E Cheese and Disney, you wont feel as guilty from neglecting your boat because you wont have as much invested in it. That is if your willing to scale back on the boat so you can partake in both worlds. Just my opinion. Dont think you have to give it up. Compromise.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Jason is right.........provided that you really are one of us!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Steve_H

never boated in the chicago area so i dont know what its like but there is a LOT of people from your area that boat at loto. must be a reason for it. more performance boater friendly?
just an idea, but you could keep your boat at loto for the summer on the trailer at a marina cheap and possibly get away from the hassles your having in chicago?
i also wonder if its worth it at times......

Old 12-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

weve spent about 80 grand into a boat we payed 42 for in the last year and a half with only 6 hours of running before three engiens with blown pistson.......dont feel bad
if anything downsize....cuse if you get out ull want back in
Old 12-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

I see your frustration.

Reality : Hold your arms far apart as wide as you can
in this area theres engine problems, drive problems
gas prices, flat trailer tire, hitting a log (really..Yes).
Friend breaks down and you pull him two hours back to the ramp on the hottest day of the year.

Somewhere in that space There is a small window.

Maybe a Hot July day where there is sunshine friends and food, drink and kids everything that one would want....Everything running perfect. Tied up together floating swimming or just Ripping across nice water.
This small window is where you want to be. Where
boating is by far the greatest activity ever.

Keep the boat!
You will be glad you did!
Gerry

Last edited by caveman; 12-04-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Registered

Hang in there! Try another season and see how it goes or list the rig and if you get fair price dump it. You didn't seem to use much this year that's for sure.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Registered

It gets frustrating, that's for sure. I decided NOT to repower my 311 with bigger motors just because of the cost involved. I'd rather cruise at 55 and not break the bank than cruise at 75 and cost me a fortune I don't have.

Besides I just bought a 65' Vette.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
It gets frustrating, that's for sure. I decided NOT to repower my 311 with bigger motors just because of the cost involved. I'd rather cruise at 55 and not break the bank than cruise at 75 and cost me a fortune I don't have.

Besides I just bought a 65' Vette.
Someone who gets it. I'll never understand people that will drop every last cent into their boat builing bigger powerin the quest for speed only to have the boat sit because they can't afford to maintain it or replace broken drives. I'm pretty much done at 83 - 85mph and what was once considered fast is now falling behind the pack. The one thing that seperates me from them is not having to ***** about broken drives

Quick Reply: Stay in, or get out of boating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.