Notices

#6 and extension boxes

Old 02-24-2003, 11:53 PM
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say that TRES is correct in stating that the boat has too much stern weight. When I re-rigged Ruckus (1994 Top Gun - full cabin - 900 Pfaffs - #6 drives) with the Stellings stand off boxes and #6 drives - it was based on my experience on another Top Gun that was similarily rigged. Some of you may remember a Top GUn called "Kangaroo Rat." Kangaroo Rat was a big power, bad ass Top Gun with #6's and boxes. The difference was that it also had 500 pounds of electronic equipment down below up front in the v-berth (three tv screens, etc.). In other words - it was a heavy a** boat with alot of forward weight which was offset by the boxes. Ruckus - not having that same weight - is too stern heavy 80% of the time. I have repeatedly told Anna (current owner aka Blonde Cig Chick) that she should re-rig it without the boxes, however, she loves the way the drives look hanging five feet off the transom. The boat porpoises more than normal under 70mph. You definately need those long tabs in the water to compensate for the weight imbalance. Problem is - tabs downs equals drag which equals slower speeds. The one very good thing is that Ruckus will run like a bat out of hell at 80+. All that weight in the stern actually lends stability at higher speeds. Problem is that no one runs around at 80+ 90% of the time. Bottom line? Don't do it unless there is a specific reason to do it.

Jeffrey
Old 02-25-2003, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

So, if I understand this correctly, the #6 drive on the To Gun is fine, just don`t use the extension boxes?

Or is the Six drive just too heavy for the boat and as Tres mentioned, 3 or 5 would be a better choice???

If money was no object, what would be the ideal set up for a full cabin heavy, older, nonstep Top Gun?

Kurt.