Old 02-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always had great luck with DELL.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:32 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Troutly
Dell is OK, unless you have to deal with their dopes in Customer Disservice. If you do, be prepared for a ride into never never land. I will never buy from them again.
I have never had to deal with the customer disservice, but thanks for the advice, I will be prepared now.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been very lucky with IBM systems.
I've had this one (our second) for 3 years now and haven't had any trouble.
My only complaint is the limited amount of RAM I can have, 356K max.
As for lock-ups, the more programs you have running in the background the better your chances of trouble. Try hitting "Control- ALT- Delete" and you'll see what programs are open and active (everything listed there is open and active). Any program running uses up RAM. And when RAM availability low (system resources) it'll cause the system to lock-up or freeze. That's why you can't have too much RAM. The new computers can handle up to 1GB of RAM.
Also limit the amount of icons on your desktop. If you could see mine I have only four icons showing. Everything else is in "Programs" list and the keyboard has rapid access keys for my most used/accessed programs.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:52 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Dell, best computer I've ever had.
Check out their specials/refurbs. They computer there are new, spec out systems they can't sell as new because someone canceled an order. They now have a speced out system built, so they put them in the "refurbished section" you'll save some bux.
http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher...rcDetail=offer

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 02-25-2003, 07:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I purchased my computer from Best Buy last year and it is called a VPR Matrix.....It is a custom built computer at such a low price it didn't make it worth my wild to build my own...When I got mine it was a Pentium 4 with a Northwood 2.0g...They have more powerful ones now and still at a cheaper price...Plus 1 year same as cash
Old 02-25-2003, 07:21 AM
VIP Member

Dude--Get yourself a Dell.

I am the systems administrator for my company and we have 17 Dell pc's and have had good luck with all of them.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

TooOld my Gateway has a alluminum case. I take it on job sites with me every day and it has been beat around good. Due the the high danger of were my laptop is I purchased coverage with it so if it ever goes down in 3 years they hand me a new puder the next day and I am off. When my computer is fixed they give me mine gack and we swap again. I have the thin one like the Sony VIO piece. You know my lick with things so to have this thing work for me what do you think

Jon
Old 02-25-2003, 07:33 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Too Old
What I want is a DURABLE lap top. I've had several now and none of them have held up. I'd like to find one in something other than a cheap plastic case with 50 cent hinges that aren't up to my abuse.
I have a gateway 9300 series 15.7 inch with a p3 650 upgraded
the drive to 30 gig and the memory to 288 this is a desktop
replacement that is 2-3 years old and built like a tank 9lbs
Ive have dropped it from 3-4 feet and those chrome steel
hinges dont brake mag frame seperate 8 meg video
can be had off ebay for 600.00 and Cdrw/DVD are still around
this was the worlds largest and most advanced computer
2.5 years ago 2 usb, Firewire, TV out and capture in, had digital
audio too. This was the best of of the best kinda like a older used
cig. just some comments from a IT guy!
Old 02-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude...don't buy a dell...

their customer service/technical support is horrible. I'm a computer tech by profession and when I call a support line, it's for good reason and "reboot the pc" is not a solution I like to hear when i call.

with dell support, you will rarely get an american voice on the other end of the line either. now, don't get me wrong, but it is very difficult to talk to someone in Sri Lanka and understand what they are saying...nevermind the technical ineptitude of the majority of their support staff.

as far as quality of dell products, i can tell you that their consumer products(like Compaq/HP) are a whole different animal than their corporate products. The consumer products do not use the same quality construction or components...the motherboards chassis and cases in particular are quite different.

i advised a friend/customer to buy 2 dells(one for home, one for the office) two years ago and it has nearly cost me a friendhship because the office pc was never right from the day he got it. we replaced every piece of equipment in that box and never got it to run without locking up on a daily basis. I spent many a weekend trying to get this thing right...and the bottom line in my opinion was the chassis and case were so flimsy that they were causing the majority of the problem. It was so bad, that none of my operating system install cds would work on this system...i'd never seen anything like this in my life.

well, two years of phone calls, threats to put a sign in the shop window saying "Dell Sucks" finally yielded us a brand new computer...it was a nightmare and while many of you might think that getting a new computer out of them would be a good thing, my opinion is that they should have replaced it sooner and not jerked us around for two years.

I personally have an IBM ThinkPad which I use for webs design, graphics, spreadheets and web surfing(its my third and my next one will be an IBM also). It is an older PMMX 300mhz model and has been nothing but good to me. They are very durable and IBM sells you the same product...whether you own a multi-million dollar coporation, or a small web biz like me...

Just my .02 for whatever it's worth
Old 02-25-2003, 08:46 AM
mlitefan

Dell is your best bet. Service is consistently ranked number one in the industry, despite Troutlys anecdotal evidence. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience but I would be interested in more facts.

Building your own is fine for those that will never need any help if something goes wrong. It is fine if you don't mind replacing parts when they go bad. It is fine if you do not mind BUYING new parts when they break as typically, parts purchased separately don't carry the same warrantee as complete systems.

There is a reason why Dell is number one...

You simply can not beat Dell for quality and support.

Also, if you are a computer technician, calling any level one support can be a frustratng task. Dell has programs for corporate customers to bypass this for just that very reason.

Quick Reply: What computer to buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.