Notices

What computer to buy?

Old 02-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom,

I appreciate your comments about the Apple systems. For soom reason I never liked them. Seemed that software was a problem, or so I thought.

Recently I have been hearing nothing but good. I have also noticed that graphics designers seem to favor them.

The wife HATES my laptop I use at home and has asked for a new computer. The main thing we use it for is surfing the web, secondly it creating CD's, then editing and printing pictures and finally some light word processing.

The more I look at the Mac, the more I like it. What are the down sides I can expect if any?

I up graded my Toshiba laptop from Windows ME to XP home edition. I wish I had never done that. It is OK, but did not have drivers for anything. What a ***** finding all of them, downloading, etc. Still cannot use my Iomega CD writer? They do not offer a driver.

Thanks Mark
Old 02-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree ..Dell customer support is less than desireable.

waiting a month to get my Cd writer replaced..what a bunch of dopes. I dont have the time or patience to be on hold for 30 minutes either.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Too Old
What I want is a DURABLE lap top. I've had several now and none of them have held up. I'd like to find one in something other than a cheap plastic case with 50 cent hinges that aren't up to my abuse.
What the hell are you doing to them??

We've switched to Gateway a couple years ago and haven't had any issues. They are as durable as I've seen. We have four Gateway Laptops in the field right now (construction sites) and there holding up fine.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:08 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...cs=04&kc=6W300

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:11 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default a budy just sent this to me.

be sure to ck all the rebates. This is for Mr. Stringer. (This Dell is 3 times faster than the Dell 4100)

Rob probably doesn't want to know about this deal. I can find someone to buy the HP if you decide to get this Dell deal.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...cs=04&kc=6W300

There is a needed 15% coupon for this deal to work. Check your emails from Dell on 2-24-03 for a code.

Configure the cheapest on all options except add the 64 ddr video card (+$20), no monitor, minimal ram128mb, no modem, 30gb hard drive, add the free DVD (we can install a cd-rw later for about $30-40 **not from Dell**). I would get the minimal ram so as to qualify for the $100 rebate. RAM can be purchased cheaper most anywhere else. 512mb sticks are going for about $70-75 which would add to the 128 for a total of 640mb on the system. Modems are cheaper elsewhere as well.

$619- 50 instant rebate -85.35 (15% coupon) +33.86 (tax) +(free shipping)= $517.51 -$100 mail-in rebate>>>>>$417.51 total

Additional items to be purchased elsewhere.....modem $10, ram $75, cd-rw $30, or remove the modem and cd-rw from your old Dell.

There is also a 2% rebate available through ebates which would gain you about $12 back via check with nothing to mail in......painless and automatic.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Tom
Registered

Originally posted by Dock Holiday
Tom,
Recently I have been hearing nothing but good. I have also noticed that graphics designers seem to favor them.

The more I look at the Mac, the more I like it. What are the down sides I can expect if any?
Mark and cartman,
The worst thing about Apple is their fans are more rabid than boat owners are about their own boat, especially those batboat guys.

Most of the complaints people have about them are from before they switched to UNIX. They crashed more often than Windows back then although fixing them was way easier. There are other issues though - you will need all new software unless you know a friend on OSO that will pirate some for you. There is the argument that software is not available for Mac, but that is not true except some obscure software and that can be run with Virtual PC (so good that Microsoft just bought the company because it is better than what they could do themselves) on your Mac. Games do take longer to come out on the Mac, but when it does it runs so much better that rabid PC fans are amazed how much better it looks and runs. etc. etc. etc.

On the plus side Apple invented plug and play, Windows copied the idea and call it plug and PRAY. You never have problems with Apple machines and they are much easier to work on; you don't have to take them apart to add memory, etc. If you read manuals like Photoshop you will see that many of the features are only available on the Mac. Speed is close to the same regardless of claims by either side. etc. etc. etc.

Biggest argument is that people who switch LOVE their Mac, something you never hear from PC owners. I have a friend who said he was afraid to get a Mac because he would have to learn all over again. After a few hours playing with it during a few days he now says he can't believe how much easier it is and how much more he can do with it. In terms of graphics, sound, movies, etc. there is no comparison from both the beginner and the top professional standpoint. iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie are so cool and easy to use it is amazing, but when you want the best Hollywood is switching to using Final Cut Pro to making movies on - including the top editors. Microsoft says that the Mac version of Office is better than the Windows version because the operating system allows for more.

I will gladly answer any questions you have and help with any spare time I have if you need more info about any operating system issues Windows, UNIX or Mac. I am busy working on my boat though until I get it past 100 all the time.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:32 PM
mlitefan

Been traveling wayyy to much but wanted to bump this one back up...

"
It is widely known that Compaq corporate hardware is superior to thier consumer line-
Not really sure about that one as I have no experience with the Compaq consumer line. I will say from a Dell perspective, the consumer line is chock full of the latest and greatest, industry standard technology. No substandard parts, etc. However, I deal exclusively with the corporate line of Servers and Storage so I can’t comment much more about the consumer brand.

The case, well, that is more of an opinion and opinions usually can't be changed...

As for the lack of screws, it is much easier to build them without, as well as upgrade later on. I can't believe anyone still uses them actually.

Tom...
if you don't want crashes ever again the only system good enough for mission critical is UNIX.
That may have been true a few years ago but it no longer is today. I can build a clustered environment that gives you at least six 9's, and do it at a fraction of the cost of your UNIX system. Not slamming UNIX at all, just saying that most companies are looking for ways of getting away from it where they can (software ported to other platforms). The cost of a UNIX system is not justified in today’s environment...with very few exceptions.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Registered

I've been on Mac for years. Titanium laptop for 2 years. Great machines. Best screen, thinest, most loaded laptop. The only downside is if you are really into games or different types of software, there is not as much available. If you use the standards ( office, quick books, photoshop etc..) you'll be fine.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:28 AM
Registered

I have run IT departments for over 10 years and I can say every computer hardware company has substandard customer service. That said, Dell has been the best our companies have experienced. I have bought Dell desktops and servers for the past 5 years and IBM T series Thinkpads (not a big fan of Dell laptops) I will say home systems vs. business systems are completely different service animals. However the one time I had to call Dell CS for my home computer (noisy fan) the tech handled my issue without delay and a new fan arrived the next day. Computer lockups are almost always the fault of software not the hardware manufacturer. And any Windows 9x or millenium software is destined for the problems. If you are running these systems "reboot your computer" is a valid tech support step. Win 2K and XP are vastly better OSs. As far as Macs all I can say is I don't allow them on my networks and won't have one in my house. There was a time they were essential for desktop publishing but those days are gone.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Registered

Just a note about building your own. Unless you want to be the tech support / customer service rep this is a bad option. If you are in to fiddling with electronics and know how to diagnose the difference between various hardware failures have fun. And good luck convincing intel it is there motherboard with the problem and not the cable manufactures or the memory chip supplier For the very small sum you save if any over buying a comparable system from a reputable manufacturer it is just not worth the aggravation.