Notices

Mid-cabins ??????

Old 02-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mid-cabins ??????

OK Folks ..it seems everyone is making a "mid-cabin" version of their 25 - 28 foot sport vees.... has anyone checked any of these out yet , riden in one, had any experience at all with them , or maybe just your opinion (wait ... there aren't many of those here)

Lets hear it ....... (the Nordic and Sunsation look pretty nice???)

JM
Old 02-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looked at some at the St Louis show. We really like the concept. Sunsation, Nordic, Challenger, Envision and Advantage had models there. I really liked the size of the Advantage cabin and the center mounted bolsters was prettly slick, plus they had a blender mounted in the cabin for cocktails. The Challenger has a deeper freeboard. Sunsation gets the passengers involved with a speedo, clock and depthfinder mounted in the bow area.
Haven't ridden in any of them yet. Time will tell.

With the funds to buy anything, and based soley on appearance and features, I'd vote like this:

1. Advantage
2. Sunsation
3. Challenger
4. Envision
5. Nordic

Just my opinion...
Old 02-24-2003, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's a good concept, but I think it ruins the whole look of the boat.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Thumbs down

Bowriders and OffshoreOnly don't mix
Old 02-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Registered

A am considering the Sunsation 288 closed bow, but a few of my friends told me they like the mid-cabin better. I like the closed bow better though. Decisions, decisions
Old 02-24-2003, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just trying to decide if it's a possible alternative to the new (not new) center console I can't stop looking for ?????
Old 02-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Registered

The problem I see with them is this, who is going to sit up there on a weekend at LOTO? No way in hell I am going to.

Plus, I don't like the looks of them. I am not a open bow guy. Just my opinion though.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:05 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Last year I purchased a 2002 Nordic 28' Heat, mid-cab open-bow version. Stepped hull. For my purposes and uses, the o/b configuration is ideal:

Comfort/Practicality
1. I do 95% of my boating in large, Western lakes. Usually meet up with other boater friends. Cruising or drifting or anchored just off the beach, the large open-bow seating area is great.

2. Passenger/Gear loading and unloading is made easier with the open bow.

3. The mid-cabin area is ideal to take a break from mid-day intense sun. Open-bow provides nice air flow-through. Decent cruising seating as well, in smooth conditions.

Style
Purely a matter of personal preference and taste, but with some manufacturer's version of the o/b, I do agree that the lines of the boat suffer slightly and detract versus the hard deck. I don't feel that that way with the Nordic (which has a separate deck mold and dedicated tooling for the open-bow configuration. Not just a hard-deck that's been routed-out).

Performance

1. With the 496 Mag HO, the boat reliably reaches 64-65MPH (GPS). With favorable chop and atmospheric conditions, I've seen (GPS) 68 in fresh water, 71 in salt. I was surprised by these numbers.

2. As far as hard-deck WOT top-end advantage, I've never run side-by-side with a hard-deck Nordic 28 with same power. I'd imagine the hard-deck would have a 1-2 MPH advantage.

However, in a controlled test, I outran a hard-deck Nordic 28 Heat with a 502 MPI. Apx. 1-2 MPH advantage.

3. For offshore fun, a quick install of the snap-in bow cover works fine.

dh
Old 02-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Registered

Cool Concept....Now I suddenly are liking our open bow a bit more My only thing is....It looks "unclean" pick one or the other...If...now, this is only an idea... (need to patent this before someone steals my idea!) They had a fiberglass cover which gave the appearance of a hard deck...I would be all for them, open bow for a cruise, closed for more sporty look.

Just some more 2cents...
Tommy
Old 02-24-2003, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by HyperBaja
Cool Concept.... (need to patent this before someone steals my idea!) They had a fiberglass cover which gave the appearance of a hard deck...I would be all for them, open bow for a cruise, closed for more sporty look.

Just some more 2cents...
Tommy
Tommy, it's been done before. Check back with the Donzi boys. I believe that Criterion that just sold had the open bow with the hard cover.

Quick Reply: Mid-cabins ??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.