Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sugar Sand Jet boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/44303-sugar-sand-jet-boats.html)

Interceptor 02-27-2003 02:53 PM

My son had one and we all ran it as hard as we could take the ride. You could accelerate , throw it into a hard turn, cut the throttle and slide it backwards. We called it the giggle boat !!!
Fortunatly for us this was all done on a lightly populated lake in the Michigan U.P. so no one gave us hell. I think it had a 125 hp Mercury powerhead. Never had a failure. Hull seemed solid also.

Two years ago he upgraded to a Ski- Doo jet w/twins. Bigger nicer but not as many giggles !!!

DPT MOTORSPORTS 02-27-2003 03:26 PM

Yamaha or Seadoo would be my suggestions. Seadoo is now using the Mercury powerplants in most of there boats. Yamaha has some great models also. Both have products in the marine business already. I would suggest staying with companies that have been in the marine business and have had great success in it.
When looking at used jetboats be sure to ask many of ?s about how it was taken care of. Biggest one being how often the motors were flushed out and so forth? Was it winterized properly every season and who did the service work?

T2X,
Feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns you may have.

DPT

AppSysCons 02-27-2003 04:00 PM

I own a SeaRay F16-XR, Merc 175hpV6 jet boat and have spnt some time driving the same size/power Sugar Sand. The Sugar Sand ran strong, handleing was great, turns were fun, and it looks good while doing it. Its a nice package.

There is a dealer in Forked River, NJ. I have delt with them for maint on my SeaRay F16-XR. Great service!.

Frank F.

blown formula 02-27-2003 05:25 PM

T2X- It so happens that Fountain38 has had one for years & loved it....still does...... & still in his shop. Lately I have heard rumblings of maybe selling it.... you might email him & ask. He finally got back from Miami!! (& to all this fresh snow!)
:rolleyes:

Fountain38 02-27-2003 07:01 PM

Yes I do have one. Its the Sugar Sand Tango with the a brand new 175 mercury sport jet with 0 hours. Just start up time!!! Mercury had a recall on the old style oil pump, but not before I siezed up the motor one afternoon. So mercury sent a new long block to my local mercury dealer and I paid the labor to have it installed. The Tango is the solid Red gelcoat limited edition that is flawless. I hardly used it, cause I had a big boat also and just ended up keeping it in storage all the time. It probably has 15 hours on it total. It is a 98 with a full towing cover, and with snap in carpet installed. I telling you this boat is new. let me know if you are interested. I had to travel to Dallas to get it cause I did my research and found out the tango was the best perfoming jet boat on the market. It is a fun boat. I can get some digital pic's if needed.

mcollinstn 02-27-2003 07:03 PM

Yeah, like Yellowcat says, the only one I have experienced has been rawhided to death.

Not sure which model, but a smallish one, around 14'. 120hp Merc jetdrive. Might run 45 ish. Spins, jumps, and submarines have been its entire life. Belonged to a friend. He cleaned it up and had some gelcoat touchup this fall and traded it in on a ski boat (Supra). Was still running great.

As far as somebody mentioning the powerplants having lots of troubles, it was basically an outboard powerhead. Nothing magic about working on them.

xtremeracingf1 02-27-2003 07:33 PM

If we can help you in any way please feel free to give us a call.We are located in Florida and I'm sure we can get you the best price on your new Sugar sand.
Please feel free to give me a call if I can be,any help,we do have them in stock...

Frank
1800 914-00900 ext.231