Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sugar Sand Jet boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/44303-sugar-sand-jet-boats.html)

T2x 02-27-2003 11:21 AM

Sugar Sand Jet boats?

One of my associates stumbled on this brand and is looking to purchase something like it.... I had to confess, that I never heard of them. Anybody out there have any experiences or comments?

T2x

Iggy 02-27-2003 11:52 AM

Sugar Sand Marine is still in busniss.
Their main product is fishing boats.
Back when they were popular their jet boat was one of the first small ones available.

Go to www.sugarsandmarine.com

F-1 WARLOCK 02-27-2003 11:59 AM

I knew the factory rep for sugar sand. They are the fastes jet boats on the market and handle well. They are also very well constructed.

SpectreBoy 02-27-2003 12:02 PM

When all those little jets came out, the Sugar Sand (with the 175) was the fastest, won all the races, but all the ones on our lake fell apart, cheaply built. But still better than the Sea Ray XR 175, they had a design flaw in the pick up area, they keep sucking up intake gaskets. Our Sea Ray dealer has fixed hundreds of them over and over and over, they just put new gaskets in them, instead of fixing the problem.

Jolley 02-27-2003 12:06 PM

They are supposed to be a bit faster than the other mini boats. they seem to be the higher end as far as quality. The Marina across the bay sells 'em. I've seen them run, somewhat unique. Heres what I found on there site: Thank you for visiting our Web Site!
Letter from the President

People are often amazed to learn that this part of the country is home to many giants of the motor sports and recreation boating industries, which include companies like Polaris, Larson, Glastron, Artco, Lund, etc., are all within a 100 mile radius. Therefore, upon the foundation of an experienced work force, with its well-known Midwest work ethic, Leisure Industries started its first division, Classic Roadsters in 1978. Since then, Classic Roadsters has shipped nearly $100 million in Classic Sportscar reproductions - more than the rest of the industry combined.

Thousands of our Classic Sportscar reproductions, patterned after the Cobra, Austin Heally, MG, Jaguar, and Mercedes, have been shipped worldwide. You may have seen our products displayed at national airports, on TV shows like "Wheel of Fortune and Price is Right", or in major magazines. And, now with the release of our new Hummer reproduction (fitted to a pick up chassis and called the Badlands RT), Classic Roadsters continues strong growth.

As much of our staff came from the boating industry, we had always planned on a boat line. When Mercury released their high efficiency SportJet system in 1992, we knew the timing was right. Many believe, as we do, that today's high tech jets, with their superior handling, safety, simplicity, acceleration, and excitement, have become the propulsion system of choice. This is not only true for small boats, but increasing numbers of boats in the 30-ft. to 100-ft. length are being purchased with jet drives.

The main reason for the growing popularity of Sugar Sand Jets, is they simply are more fun! It is only natural that we wanted our company's name to represent the ultimate boating experience.

As we searched for that perfect name, the question, "What comes to mind when thinking of a perfect vacation?" led to the answer. Most often the question was answered "palm trees, tropical breezes, suntans, island music, boats of all kinds, fun of all kinds, crystal clear aqua bays, and of course the finest white sugar sand beaches." Instantly the lights went on and Sugar Sand was born.

Sugar Sand's dedication to building the best value in family boating has paid off. We have become the world's largest producer of Mercury SportJet powered boats. On the way up we were able to pass most of the giants, winning APBA National Championships, Manufacturer of the Year, Best Value in Family Boating, Best Performance awards, Best Family Runabout, etc. In total, Sugar Sand has won more trophies and awards than the rest of the industry combined!

All of us at Sugar Sand want you to see the Sugar Sand difference. We know once you do, you'll catch our enthusiasm too! Jet boating is the future and it would be our pleasure to show it to you.

Sincerely,

Gary J. Rutherford

President

SHOWROOM | TANGO | TANGO 4+2 | SOLÉ | OFFSHORE LS
CONTACT US | COMPANY | CUSTOMER COMMENTS | DEALER LOCATOR
COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS | ADVANTAGES | WIN-A-JET | LINKS

http://www.sugarsand.com/company.html

Zoomnfun 02-27-2003 12:11 PM

Tanglewood Marine in St Charles IL sells them. The company owner is a great guy Joe Turek, he is a APBA b class racer and runs Tyler Crockett power, knows his stuff. I am sure if you call he would be able to give an honest opinion. Has been selling them for a while.

I'll try and get a number for you.

Dean

ScottB 02-27-2003 12:31 PM

My cousin has one in New Jersey, Loves it but is getting divorced and is looking to dump it quick. Your Buddy can probably get a good deal. I will PM you his #

cobra marty 02-27-2003 12:32 PM

My 10 year old son has one a 12' Heat XRS with 120 hp. Will do about 50mph. Great little boat very good for the kids and wife. With trailer new Out the door for $10k 3 years ago. Been happy ever since.

neu-rich 02-27-2003 12:48 PM

I Owned One Also, Great Little Boat, Lots Of Fun, I Thought The Quility Was Very Nice, Never Had Any Problems......... Mine Was All Red Gelcoat....

Jeff

cowisl 02-27-2003 01:04 PM

I worked at a marina that carried Sugar Sand Marine boats. The Tango and the 4+2 are their best models. The motors tend to blow up after a couple of seasons. We did not have one go out that did not come back with a small problem. We had enough headaches with them that the marina dropped them...

They are a blast to drive though. They handle incredibly well for their size and are very fun for a beginner. But for an experienced boater, you will want something that is bigger and more forgiving for your back...