Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who runs on a Tread mill? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/44385-who-runs-tread-mill.html)

mcollinstn 02-28-2003 09:35 PM

I got a Cybex nearly ten years ago. Cost $3500.
It's got a million miles on it.

Ran thru a weird problem at year 4 where it would just stop 30 minutes into a hard run. I don't mean gently stop - I mean STOP. The display stayed lit and the counters kept going, but an error code came up. Cybex sent me a motor on threir dollar. Didn't fix it. They sent a controller board on their dollar. Didn't fix it. They sent a flywheel and optical sensor on their dollar. Didn't fix it. Checked the current draw on the motor and it was a little high. Input voltage from the wall was a little low (112). They had no more ideas. I installed a squirrelcage blower fan and a temp switch glued to the motor. When the motor gets over 120 degrees, the fan turns on. Has never acted up again.

Highly recommend Cybex club-quality treadmills. Great feeling "suspension board" and long life double sided belt. Programmable "feel" (motor response to heavy footsteps).

I've seen some on ebay, and would not be afraid to buy a used one cause cybex tech support has been excellent and the quality of the components is awesome.

I'd say if you are over 200 pounds and plan to use the treadmill at anything over a slow jogging speed, you better plan to spend $1500 minimum.

I think consumerreports.org has recent tests.

Big E 02-28-2003 09:45 PM

My wife has been using a TRUE treadmill for about 5 years now, never had to do a thing to it. (knock on wood) She uses it every morning, it cost around $1600. You get what you pay for. I think True is a good brand, so does she.

Scott 02-28-2003 11:03 PM

We also own a True and have no complaints. We spent a lot of time doing the comparison thing and decided it was worth the extra money.

familyman 03-01-2003 06:44 AM

I spent only $500 on a Weslo at Sam's Club and it does everything we need it to do. We use it off and on. Right now we are into getting into shape so it's being used everyday. I don't run on it constantly, brisk walks to a jog for 20 to 25 minutes a couple times a week.

I won't spent too much. That way if it becomes a clothes rack you are not out too much. If you use it alot and get a couple years out of it then you can upgrade.

jnorvell 03-01-2003 09:44 AM

If you are both going to use it regularly I would recommend a good used commercial model. Cybex or Trotter. Check the mileage on it, like buying a used car. Most clubs sell/auction off their stuff in order to replace with new items. Might also check with the local retail place. In our area when we purchased new t-mills they would resell them at 50% off or greater. Most commercial tmills are in the $6-$7000 range and built to last thousands of miles. Just my .02

Red Stripe 03-01-2003 10:08 AM

Originally posted by familyman
I spent only $500 on a Weslo at Sam's Club and it does everything we need it to do. We use it off and on. Right now we are into getting into shape so it's being used everyday. I don't run on it constantly, brisk walks to a jog for 20 to 25 minutes a couple times a week.

I won't spent too much. That way if it becomes a clothes rack you are not out too much. If you use it alot and get a couple years out of it then you can upgrade.

Yep, I just picked up a budget model yesterday at Walmart. Weslo 450 Cadence for $299. Our last Weslo lasted 6 years and it was the cheapest model. The new one has power-incline, tons more electronics, and larger cushioned walking belt (wider and longer). I will be happy if it lasts us the same.

We just use the mill for walking so I quess it doesn't really apply for what you want anyways:D

fountain27ho496 03-01-2003 11:05 AM

My .02

I Have A 600.00 treadmill (sears) 3 yrs. old. Bought service plan
I know there a rip but not on this thing. Needed service once.
I run 5-9 times per week for 20-50 mniutes year round. Still going strong. Put the tv and dvd in front and the time flies by.
Don't think you have to spend 3000. for what most people end up not using. Just my .02. I'm a light weight 155, that probably
helps. My wife runs on it as well. Good luck. John