Notices

Who runs on a Tread mill?

Old 02-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who runs on a Tread mill?

the wife wants to buy a tread mill ....damn cold up here yet.anyone have any recommendations? the damn things are expensive.....looks like you need to spend between 2-3k for a good one . Anyone know of any deals? Ive been looking on ebay and you can get refirbed ones....
Old 02-28-2003, 10:39 AM
olysan

I think the old phrase "you get what you pay for" really applies. The wife and I tore up a middle of the road ($1800) treadmill in about three years. She's only about 130 lbs but she runs on it a lot and she runs hard, I'm 6'2" 230 lbs, I only run 1-2 times a week, but I'm pretty hard on it.
Last year we bit the bullet and bought a true 500 series, and it is awesome. Quiet, solid, and reliable. We've both logged some miles on it and that thing is just like new.

If you're looking for a good aerobic workout, I think the treadmill is better than an exercise bike or stair climber. It's the closest thing to actually going outside and running.

Regards
Mike

Old 02-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyno,...I use them during the winter along with various stair climbers, there are different brands at the gym I belong to and I don't know or remember what the brand names are but I do know they all kick my ass!....Fred
Old 02-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Default Funny you should ask...

I'm doing the same thing. Wife wants to get back in shape after the pregnancy, but it is tough to run outside in this weather, especially when you have a 9-month-old to deal with. She wants a new treadmill - the crappy hand-me-down Sears Lifestyler won't go over 3MPH after my big ass was on it. Like you said, the higher-end ones are damn expensive - $2K - $3K would buy a lot of neat stuff for the boat. Then again, I'm not about to stand in the way of her getting back her bikini body for boating season , so it looks like a treadmill it will be.

I'm not in the $2k range - trying to keep mine under a grand. Might try to find a "barely used", impulse-buy coat-rack model. I have been doing some research, and here are some good links:

Good info, and some sites at the bottom for ratings and comparisons: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/he...fullstory.html

Also, go to http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/ - they have ratings for almost all of the major manufacturers.

The word on the street is that the cheaper, department store models like the Weslo's and Proform's won't hold up real well over the long run. They, along with a lot of other brands are made by a big conglomerate called Icon Fitness. They usually have underpowered motors (peak HP ratings instead of continuous duty), and only a 90-day warranty. Image is also made by Icon, but it offers a much better warranty.

Basically, it comes down to who is going to be using the thing and how often. A 110 lb woman running less than 20 miles per week might get by OK with one of the less expensive models. But someone with a big Charles Barkley ass like me would probably put a hurtin' on it.

I looked at a treadmill made by Horizon Fitness the other day. Looked pretty sturdy, seemed to have a decent motor (1.75 continuous HP), and pretty good warranty (lifetime frame, 10-year motor) for $700. Might be worth considering for someone who is light. Has anyone out there had any experience with Horizon? Couldn't find a whole lot about them on the web.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

WARNING! Do Not Clean the Tread Mill while standing on it. You just might hit the ON button and get launched off of it backwards.......HURTS!
Old 02-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

LMFAO Outlaw... You sound like you know this a little TOO well!
Old 02-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

I do know this. Yes, it happened to me. It was not fun but I sure wish I could have seen myself do it. I bet it looked funny. It really did hurt though, left a few marks, skid marks that is, on my chin. Good thing it was in my basement and not at the gym.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Registered

Get a TRUE. We have a 540CI and it has been great. Expensive, but the $1500 Sportmart type model we had was loud and died a quick death.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Registered

I have been going thru the same thing, need to spend at least 2 grand to get one to run on. Looking more towards the ellipticals. I never thought I would go that route, but have started using one at the gym about a month ago and I prefer it over the treadmill. Much easier on the joints, get a good aerobic workout, works the upper body, quiet. Check one out before you buy the treadmill.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:11 PM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The timing on this is good for me too. My wife wants me to get a tread mill for her. I would like to stay under $1k though.

Maybe we can get a group order discount??

Quick Reply: Who runs on a Tread mill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.