Notices

Marine Plywood

Old 03-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine Plywood

Who supplies marine plywood in the Chicago area? I took off my silent thunder swim platform to replace a gasket and found the top back side rotten. At least that explanes the gasket I have some PIC's I will try and download them latter.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

home depot,lowes or any other lumber yard
Old 03-01-2003, 04:55 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Don't waste the money on "marine plywood",it's too expensive and is no better than exterior plywood cause you will resin coat it anyway.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Banned

I've been told the only difference between marine and exterior plywood is that the voids are filled with glue.

I built a new engine cover with regular plywood and then painted it with a material we use to waterproof floors. It sat on the side of the house uncovered for 6 months with no adverse effects. It even seals up the cracks between the boards and fills the screw countersinks.
Attached Thumbnails Marine Plywood-sized.jpg  
Old 03-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Aetna Plywood, on Elston. Not sure if they are wholesale only, but they have just about everything.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Registered

Thanks guys

Can I use pressure treated plywood? what's the special deal with marine plywood? Could it be bad to seal pressure treated wood?

Got to go to Kodak and download some software, you can never find those disks once you open the box.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:49 PM
KN
Registered

I would stay away from pressure treated plywood. There is a huge difference between an exterior grade plywood and marine plywood. Better glue, more ply's, no voids, the grain, it is made with different species that are stronger, resist water and bugs better. Marine plywood is a much better product.

Go on www.boatdesign.net and ask what you should use for your application. They have a message board.

Kirk

Last edited by KN; 03-01-2003 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Georgia Pacific;

Marine-grade plywood is a specially designed panel made entirely of Douglas-fir or Western Larch. The grade of all plies of veneer is B or better, which means it may have knots, but no knotholes. The panels are sanded on both faces, and are also available with Medium Density Overlay (MDO) or High Density Overlay (HDO) faces. The maximum core-gap size permitted is 1/8 inch. Its exposure durability rating is EXTERIOR and the glue used is a fully waterproof structural adhesive. It is considered a "premium" panel grade for use in situations where these characteristics are required, i.e., for boat hulls and other marine applications where bending is involved.

Marine-grade plywood is not treated with any chemicals to enhance its resistance to decay. If decay is a concern, it should be pressure-preservative treated to an appropriate standard.

The detailed description of veneer grades and Marine-grade plywood is contained in Voluntary Product Standard PS 1-95: Construction And Industrial Plywood.

APA Marine-Plywood:

Thicknesses Minimum Number of Plies Minimum Number of Layers
1/4" 3/8" 3 3
1/2" 5/8" 3/4" 5 5

*A layer is a single veneer ply, or two or more plies laminated with grain direction parallel In each ply

APA Marine-Edge Grade Stamp

MARINE A-A EXT-APA 000 PS 1-95

Popular APA Marine-Grades: A-A, A-B and B-B

Marine-grade plywood is available in 4x8-foot sheets of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4-inch thickness. Sheets up to 5x12 feet are also available. Available grades are A-A, A-B, B-B (face-back), MDO and HDO.

There are a few Wholesalers in the Chicago area. If they can't help you out directly they can probably get you to someone who stocks what you are looking for.

Aetna Plywood Inc. 1731 N. Elston Ave. Chicago, IL 60622 773-276-7100

Plywood Town Wholesale Supply Co. 1815 W. Division Chicago, IL 60622 773-278-6407

Carlson Plywood Co. Inc. 8890 67th Hodgkins, IL 60525 708-354-8200
Old 03-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can get Mahogony plywood I have been told it repels water MUCH better. Other then that I have also been told that there is no difference btwn the glues and what not in different plywooods. That being said I just picked up some Marine Mahogony for my fairing project so go figure

Jon
Old 03-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Registered

Wow a lot of opinions. I would believe that there must be an advantage to marine ply But as said in case, when it is encapsulated in resin you would think anything would last. Still if you are going to do anything you should use the best materials you can get your hands on.

The crack that started it all
Attached Thumbnails Marine Plywood-boat2crack.jpg  

Quick Reply: Marine Plywood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.