Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
douglas marine produces a boat for fountain?why? >

douglas marine produces a boat for fountain?why?

Notices

douglas marine produces a boat for fountain?why?

Old 03-03-2003, 08:20 AM
tunnelvision

didn't fountain build a couple of the big scism cats a while ago for them?

Old 03-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skater built many of reggies super v race boats. it was supposed to be a joint venture with reggie and peter. basically after reggies guy's learned how to build a proper race boat they killed the deall and started to build there own. if you remember a few years back skater put an ad in powerboat listing the boats he made and all the speed titles and championships were really his. it became a big pissing contest.
now with the 39 ft v hull was supposed to be a joint venture with baja. peter designed the boat, baja made a couple of molds. baja was suppose to build the pleasure version and skater build the race boat. but baja backed out of the deal because racing is not for them anymore.
i don't know how dragon powerboats got one of the molds but there boat is the same thing as baja's exept a different deck.

in the next chapter of how the boat turns.

how many original molds are there and how many were copy catted ???????????????????????????

Treadwell
Old 03-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Customers wanted Skater to lay up most race boats because they are and have been considered the best out there.

Treadwell,

How is the racing program going for this year?
Old 03-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Registered

Douglas Marine (Skater) uses epoxy, Fountain does not.

Epoxy is stronger and more expensive.

From a business perspective, it is more efficient to subcontract the work for just a few epoxy boats than to convert the production resin system.

vtec
Old 03-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Registered

That's interesting since there not even close. You can visit the web site and see the Dragon history. The Dragon is a 2 step bottom short and close to the transon. The design work was all done by myself and Doug Wright. You may visit the factory any time. Peter does excellent work and has all the expertise in building boats and winning however he didn't build this one. Does he have a CNC machine? Where the molds built in Florida? The Dragon was on the drawing board since 1999. That year I had a heart operation and got put back a year. It would have been nice to team up with someone like Skater. The Dragon is an epoxy boat, different hull, different deck, different hatch, different liner, different dash, different company. I wonder what Doug Wright, Doug Wright Jr. Mark Bishop [structural engineer] Phil Mead [drawing and structural] plus a band of other people would think? Thank You, Craig Barrie

Last edited by cbdragon; 03-03-2003 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:13 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There are a few other reasons why other manufacturers use Peter Hledin to make their race hulls.......

For instance does every manufacturer know how to make both halves of a boat weigh the same?............ Peter does.

Have you ever run your finger along the edge of a Skater strake or chine? Sharp isn't it? Sharp edges mean speed.......... Tough to make sharp edges in a molded boat...... Know how it's done?......... Peter does.

Making a boat light is easy......just leave stuff out....or vacuum bag..... know how to get the most strength from the lightest layups?.......Peter does.

Know how to figure where the CG belongs and then build based on it?.......... Peter does.

Know how to take a clean sheet of paper and actually create a boat from scratch?............. Peter does.

Know how to take any manufacturer's existing boat and make it better, faster, stronger, lighter?............ Peter does.

That's why he charges a bit more.............. you get it back in little things....like value, performance, styling, originality, handling and quality. Except for those six minor ingredients you can get everything else........cheaper.

Buy a Skater..............

T2x
Old 03-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Registered

T2x : as i watch your posts about boats you are always on Skaters side.what do you think about new-generation cat builders like mti?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:26 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy a Skater.......................

T2x
Old 03-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Registered

LOL!

i already have one.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Rick#29

Originally posted by Jana
I don't think Skater is still building boats for Fountain. The Pier 57 boat from last year is one of the ones from the original partnership.
Thats true it was the first built for Fountain,showed up in Fort Myers as{ Jawanna} at that time it was a B class boat. When we got the boat for SVL 2. David Woods owned it had it painted to pier 57 colors,was using as a show boat .We new we had a great boat, because I new it had been built by Skater,just totally rerigged the boat and went on to win the national championship last year.

Quick Reply: douglas marine produces a boat for fountain?why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.