Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ot/...hey, You Michigan Guys......... >

Ot/...hey, You Michigan Guys.........

Notices

Ot/...hey, You Michigan Guys.........

Old 03-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ot/...hey, You Michigan Guys.........

or snow skiers...I just read a really kool article in SKI magazine about BOYNE MTN & the founder, EVERETT KIRCHER...I have heard of BOYNE MTN but didn't realize the historical significance KIRCHER & his mtn played & is STILL playing...(Stein Ericson was the head of ski school for 2 years, 1st MTN to install triple, quads, & 6-pack chair lifts in the U.S., started the"package" (ski/stay/learn) deals, was on the leading edge of snow-making, MANY high-caliber skiers "graduated" from there, etc......)...For a small area it sounds like a great place to ski or visit!!!...This KIRCHER guy sounds like a VERY KOOL guy (RIP)!!!...Are any of you familiar with the man &/or the mountain???...Any stories???...Just curious.......THANX....
Old 03-06-2003, 09:41 AM
Registered

When I was young and didn't know better I skiied there often...then I found the Rockies and only go once or twice a year. I was friends with Steve Kircher in grade school when we went every weekend. I have a friend whos Uncle owns the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island and he intoduced me to him. We skiied and raced together many years. They also own Big Sky in Montana which I have never been to but hear it is like out west. Those were the days...there are also Boyne Highlands a little farther North. The Zoo bar is there and is a drunk fest. The spring fling at BM is a drunk fest also. Why is it you can ski drunk as a skunk but not drive or snowmobile? I have seen many broken bones (used to be a ski patrolman) from drinking and trying inverted aireals (flips). The only problem are the lines....15 min to get up and 15 sec to get down.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Registered

JEEZ MITCH...Is there any topic you AREN"T knowledgable about???...All this time I thought you were a one-dimensional gearhead/boat/sled/set-up/guru!!!...LOL...If you can, check out the latest (march/april 03) SKI mag...VERY KOOL...I know what you mean about the 15 min wait/15 sec down issue, but that is typical of small vert areas...I'm an ex/has-been racer (mtn ski teams, high school, college, B pro-tour at VAIL 4 2 years, etc...)...Some of these hills may be small, but there is a LOT of BIG talent that seems to spawn from them...Where do you like to go out west???...Did you go this year???....SKIULATA...haha...