Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Coast Gaurd Safety Class (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/45014-coast-gaurd-safety-class.html)

GO4BROKE 03-10-2003 06:20 PM

Coast Guard Safety Class

How many people take the Coast Guard "Safety and Boating Skills" course? I took it in '96 and learned a fair amount, and save $100 a year on my insurance. My wife is taking it (and I am re-taking) starting tomorrow. The only cost is $40 for books. Just wondering who else bothers.

Hustler 26 03-10-2003 06:36 PM

I think it's a great idea. I saved on my insurance also. I learned alot on navigation from it

Ted G 03-10-2003 06:40 PM

I took it from the US Power Squadron and it was great! I learned a lot and it has saved my butt a few times. I think anyone who has the time should take one or the other.

Waterfoul 03-10-2003 06:40 PM

I took it last year. Good class.

wwwTOPDJcom 03-10-2003 06:40 PM

GUARD!!!

I did a search on the GAURD spelling it was pretty funny
US Coast Guard comes up first

Audiofn 03-10-2003 06:44 PM

I have not taken it yet. I hear there is a thing you can do on line now. Anyone know about that? I have taken a LOT of sailing courses over my life, so I feel real proficient. Like did you know that you have to have your life jackets CLOSE to you on the boat. Up in the bow and not accessable can be writen up as if they are not on board. I keep mine in two bags right on the floor as you go into the cabin. Easy to grab that way.

Jon

BadDog 03-10-2003 06:59 PM

My two boys had to take it so they could get an operators license. At the time they were 10 and 11 and passed with an eighty five or so. My wife and I took it as well. I got a kick out of one of the questions, something about what to do when guests come on board. One of the answers was to show them where the cooler was. The 9 year old picked that one! Whenever I take others on the boat I usually consolidate coolers. Why bring three coolers when you have a fridge? I suppose he has been paying attention. The CG course is pretty basic. A Chapmans is the what you should really study.

GO4BROKE 03-10-2003 08:09 PM

I don't know what you're talking about TopDJ!;)

I swear this place is making my spelling worse!:drool:

georges 03-10-2003 08:16 PM

He did correct it:cool:

rjcardinal 03-10-2003 08:27 PM

I took it back in 96 also. Learned a few things even though Ive been boating for years. The course was long but worth it. One week a night for 2 hours for 6 weeks then the test. Made a 100% on the test. My wife only missed two questions.

There was a follow up course that dealt mainly with coastal chartplotting and navagation. Has anyone taken that one?

Ron