Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
We are a little confused - maybe you can help us? >

We are a little confused - maybe you can help us?

Notices

We are a little confused - maybe you can help us?

Old 07-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We are a little confused - maybe you can help us?

When we first took on the endeavor of Shore Dreams For Kids, we thought raising the money would be the hardest part. We have actually made our fiscal budget for the event. A BIG THANK YOU to all of you who have donated money to make this event happen.

The last thing we thought we would have a problem with would be volunteers with boats. But believe it or not, we only have 8 captains that have volunteered for this Saturday. THIS IS A PROBLEM.

We have 300 Special Olympic children coming to Toms River that are looking forward to a day at the shore. We have alot of activities lined up on land for all of the children to enjoy (food, carnival, face painters, etc..) It is going to be a great day for the children!

We really cannot really figure out that of the 300 people we have contacted, that only 8 captains have volunteered their time and their boats to give rides this Saturday?

* When 9/11 occurred, our membership came out in droves to give.
* When the Speed Limit was pending on the bay, our members came out in droves with letters and phone calls.

Now - we have the opportunity to do something great for the Special Olympic Community and our members are getting cold feet? We truly cannot figure this one out?

Might you be worried about children on your boat? Not to worry - each boat will have adult chaperones to accompany the children. All you need to do it be the captain. Each boat ride will last only 10-15 mins.

Worried your boat is too small or big? No boat is too small or big!

Worried that your boat is not fancy enough? Your type of boat does not matter! Performance, Fish, Ski, Bowrider, etc... all boats are welcome!

Worried about your boat getting dirty? Some soap & water after can fix that. What is more important? - Giving a child a day that they will remember forever and cleaning a few foot prints afterward or not participating because you care more about the cleanliness of your boat?

WE REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!!!

We need your help to make this a successful event! Shore Dreams for Kids is looking for volunteers to give rides on their powerboats to the 300 Special Athletes. The event will take place in Seaside Heights on Saturday, July 19th, from 11AM to 3PM.

This is truly a worthwhile cause! If your are interested in volunteering, please contact NJPPC member Brian Meade for further details at 908-403-1297, or via e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks for your consideration!
Old 07-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Registered

Default OSO Challenge

Come on guys, I know alot of you have kids, look into your kids faces when you are turning up the power. Think about kids that never have the chance to ride in a boat.

If i was on the East Coast I would be a captain. This in not what this board is all about, unless a poker run is conflicting with this schedule, there are a lot of members on this board. Someone needs to step up to the plate on this one.

Make this board what I belive this board is, quality people who love the sport and lifestyle of boating.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:50 PM
Registered

Quote:
This in not what this board is all about, unless a poker run is conflicting with this schedule

I would give this event priority over a poker run.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It might be a liability isue. People are sue happy these days.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Registered

we're gonna be down the shore this wknd. I'll call you tomorrow for the details, i will also try to round up a few friends w/ boats as well. no guarantees, but i'll ask around, most of us would just be sitting in silver bay, drinking anyway! many of my friends don't hang out on the site and don't even know about these events!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:33 AM
Registered

Thanks guys!

Whatever help that can be given - would be greatly appreciated!

Please contact Brian for all details.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-16-2003, 07:30 AM
Registered

Dave,

Charlie is now racing in AC this weekend so I am not doing Seneca lake, but Ihave ahouse full of family and that is a long drive for the day. (350 miles one way?) Are you doing it again later this summer or this fall. With a little more planning I would be glad to help if the Skater is okay. I know it can be a bit bumpy and with kids with special needs is a 24 Skater a good idea?

Shane
Old 07-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Registered

Hey Shane,

Thanks for the offer. 99% of all boats are fine for the kids with special needs. We would match up the kids with the right boat. As for speeds - the thrill of being on a boat is the real rush for the kids - not really the speed.

As always - Thanks for your support! We will look forward to seeing you next time!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:38 AM
Registered

I knew you guys would come through!
Old 07-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Registered

we're gonna do our best to help get a few more boats over there, I contacted brian and they were real flexible about people's help, so if anybody else is considering..just swing by the Seaside Dock, Give a few quick rides over to the water's edge and back, i'm sure it won't mess up anyone's day, and who know's... maybe you'll even fell pretty good about it!

Quick Reply: We are a little confused - maybe you can help us?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.