If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    My Boats:

Help buying a house at the LOTO

It looks like the Sutphen may have a new home at the LOTO. We have found a nice house on the North Shore that is completely furnished,, 2 slip dock and a 26' pontoon boat. My question is I need to know if there is anything I am forgetting to investigate or do before I buy a house down there?

Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Mequon, WI
    I'm not sure how active the termites are in the area, but that would be something to look into. There are many cliffs and bluffs around. Check to make sure that it's stable. Often with high bedrock, there can be surface water control problems. Check for signs of erosion around the house. Because of the bedrock, what does the house have for a septic system?

My Boats:
    2002 baja 33 o/l 575sci's
    If it has a septic tank,
    get it checked out, a friend
    of mine down there,
    had to have his replaced,
    cost him 10k.

My Boats:
    2015 MTI 48
    From what I understand, making sure your dock is not on the main channel, or at least in a now wake zone is important. Dock get tore up all the time. Does the dock have styrafoam? That will need replaced if it does. I'm sure there a lot more LOTO specific concerns that others will know about.
    Other than that, make sure it has room for your OSO buddies!!!

ST. Louis, MO, USA
    Been looking about a year myself.
    Septic and well are inportant. It's worth the extra bucks to get a VERY thorough inspection. Building codes are very "loose" around there. If you've got friends in the construction business, bring them along. I've been really surprised at some of the stuff I've seen.
    BTW, I brought along a general contractor, roofer, plumber, and electrician to the last house I looked at. It was well worth it!

Give me a call if you want (800-557-1350), I have lived at LOTO for the past five years, and am in the mortgage business so I might be able to hlep you with your questions. It is definately a different market down here like everyone has eluded too already. Good luck!

Big E

Talking ozark time

Originally posted by Troutly
    Yes...and if you want something built or fixed just are on Ozark Time....
    You are exactly right, it is a different world down there, no one gets in a hurry to do work for you. My wife and I had our condo re-carpeted last summer, it took 4 weeks to get it done and the condo is only 430 square feet. The first week they tore out the old, the second week they licked their nuts, the third week they layed it and licked their nuts, and the fourth week they stretched it and licked their nuts some more. In St. Louis they would have that job done in about 6 hours.

My Boats:
    85 Formula 302
    Indy, St. Louis, LOTO
    We've had houses (duplex) and condos at the Lake. Condos are a lot more fun because you don't spend your weekend play time mowing or weeding or trying to get maintance done. If you do go condo, make sure its a good association with deep pockets so the unexpected assessments are modest.

On the other hand, pontoon boats have their place, and getting one with the house could be nice.

We're near GlenCove on HH, near the part of the lake you're considering. The water there is actually a little calmer than it used to be, as more traffic moves towards Shawnee Bend. But that also means more places you want to boat to are also closer to Shawnee Bend
    Last edited by Chart; 03-11-2003 at 04:48 PM.

talk to neighbors about the house and neighborhood. some may give you some valuable info about the house/water level/well/septic.

and what gary said. if the fish are biting you wont find ANYONE to show up for work.

i like the condo idea but dont think its a very good investment.
    i dont think you can go wrong as long as you buy lakefront.
    values just keep going up down there. from what i hear the higher mile marker areas have been going up the most percentage wise in recent years.

btw , im looking also.
    without much luck

My Boats:
    36 Outlaw
    St. Louis/ LOTO
    Right now is a good time to check the water depth around the dock. Also, look around at the neigbhors. Are they full-time? Do they leave crap around all the time? It is good if you have some full-time neigbhors to keep an eye on things when you are not down there. Also, keep in mind that Walmart and other attractions are a bit of a drive. We have a house on the north side and I would consider moving to the other side for that reason. There are no grocery stores around us. However, a plus is that traffic is much less on the north side. Where are you looking? Good luck.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast