Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   O/T House Lot suggestions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/45115-o-t-house-lot-suggestions.html)

97BossHammer 03-11-2003 04:32 PM

O/T House Lot suggestions

I currently have a 2yr old 3br/2bath house....we're looking into getting a bigger house but lots are moving quick in the subdivision we like. I'm trying to decide on a lot but having a hard time....help me out.

Lot 1 - Corner lot right at the front of the sub. pretty flat lot but wife does not like it since it's on main street. Lot will back up to other houses.

Lot 2 - Pretty much on the side of a hill.....backyard i'm thinking will look like a ski slope. I'll try to explain.....from the street the lot just goes down...they'd have to bring in dirt to build the slab...then the backyard would be below it I guess, nice size lot but I'm worried about parking the boat, etc.

Lot 3 Wife likes this lot so it's biased already....this one is on the downside of a hill that Lot 2 is on......nice lot but its on a decline and the neighbor that is higher up would see right on top of me.

Heck I'm confused.......somebody help me out.

I

HyperBaja 03-11-2003 04:37 PM

I agree on lot 1, corner lot and in front of sub.
Lot 2 seems like you could do some pretty awesome deck setup, but parking the boat would be hard.

LapseofReason 03-11-2003 04:39 PM

lot 1 you get to hear everybody start and stop their cars, and have to buy kids and pet's in bulk, lot 2 you need a goat to mow the lawn, buy lot 3 and plant leeland cypress tree's if you get 6' tall now in three year's they will be 18'-22'

georges 03-11-2003 04:48 PM

I don't know where you live, climate wise, but remember this:
if it snows or rains a lot, it will usually find its way down the slope.
if you are on top of the hill, you will probably not have any drainage problems, and it's also quieter, but then there is the boat? hmmmm.
forget lot #1 where all the traffic occurs.
Good luck.

R Addiction 03-11-2003 05:17 PM

Lot 1- too busy
Lot 2- Parking, yard maintenance
Lot 3- Bottom of hill, as said before, water flows downhill!!!

Sounds like you need to look for a new subdivision!

bouyhunter 03-11-2003 05:31 PM

I'm not sure about the bringing in of extra dirt and compacting it to pour a slab. I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but around here I would seriously consider a full foundation with a walkout basement for this type of lot. For single story you would double your square footage of living space available. It may not look as large from the street however.

What part of the country are you building in?

Sydwayz 03-11-2003 05:51 PM

Where are you located? Is HOA going to allow the boat to be there in the first place?

Iggy 03-13-2003 06:05 AM

I agree with the others.
Lot #1, you'll regret it. The noise and headlights of all the traffic leaving and entering will drive you nuts. A corner lot will also force the builder to place the home towards the opposite rear corner. There's major restrictions on how close the house can be to each road which forces the house to be on one side of the property. Look at other corner lots to see how it's positioned. Corner lots are nice but I don't want one for that reason.

Lot #2, with a hill in the back you may have trouble with water running towards the home and possibly collecting in the yard. Think extensive drainage work.

Lot #3, same thing only from the opposite side of house. The worry about the neighbor being higher is fixed with good curtains. Depending on where you live you could build up the ground level to prevent water problems.

97BossHammer 03-13-2003 07:28 AM

Very good points guys.....

I'm in Mississippi. The neighborhood is real nice and has strict covinents (sp). I can have the boat there...BUT, it must be parked behind fence and not viewable and I've got that covered because I will definitly have a fence with 2 dogs.

I've decided to drop lot 1....I realize now the traffic, etc will just be too much. I've narrowed it down to Lot 3 or a new lot I found. Some dirt work will have to be done but it's really not that bad. It's the 2nd lot on the road.....flat up front but then starts dropping down toward the rear.....water will flow down to the left of the lot because it declines down that way.

I'm not much for living on a hill or slanted road or whatever....basically I like it flat. The only thing I'd have to deal with here is my backyard sloping down somewhat which I think might be cool....build a deck that overlooks it all. Am I thinking right or missing things?

Iggy 03-13-2003 07:48 AM

A few questions:
How close are you to the river??
Is that area susceptible to flooding??
If so, have you found out how much flood in$urace cost$?

If I was near the river I'd be looking for (really) high ground to build on.