Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Older 70's Performance Boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/45275-older-70s-performance-boats.html)

HandyMan 03-13-2003 02:47 PM

Longshot,
My Dad had two 27 Excalibur Speedsters in the early 80's. One had a single 454 TRS and the other had t-2.4 mercs. Both were fun but the o/b boat was a rocket compared to the IB. I will see if I can scrounge up a photo of the old boat.

FWK 03-13-2003 03:01 PM

There is a 27 speedster in CT. for sale. I have one but very limited on space though that one is a tall deck and does have more cabin room. Mine is a blast to drive and still people look at it at 20= years old. Mine still has the original stripes on it. I don't have a digital camera so i can't post any pictures. Forrest

stephenwsmith 03-13-2003 03:15 PM

Speedster by who..

Sorry to sound like I missed something..

Sean 03-13-2003 03:27 PM

Stephen,

Excaliber made the Speedster in a flat deck version and I "high" deck version which had a windshield. The flat deck version is downright cool and is a sit-down boat. There were two here in NY by me and they are now gone...I wish I had the money at the time cause the boats are pretty cool. they are also very narrow which makes them a dream in the rough water.

I dunno much about the 28 baron...i don't believe many are left...but they're certainly a cool looking boat although in my opinion, they have a "runabout" look to them...I've seen pics of the one in FL, and it looks pretty clean...

If it were me and I were in your shoes, I'd look at a Cigarette 28, Magnum 27 Sport or a Excaliber 27 Speedster...In that order.:D :D

HandyMan 03-13-2003 03:28 PM

Sorry,
The Excalibur 27 was called the Speedster. The outboard boat had a pretty funky cockpit design: It had two front seats that were molded as part of the cockpit innerliner and the rear seats had a break in the middle where a cooler would sit. If I remember correctly the boat had only a 6'10" beam. It was narrow but the boat would run over 70 mph which was moving in 1983! Does anyone who lives in South Florida remember when the ICW used to be no-wake and no speed limits?

Wally 03-13-2003 03:34 PM

Stephen, get us somemore info on that Cig....i'm sure someone here will be interested in it....i know i would love to see some pics of it and know what they are loking to get for it :D

stephenwsmith 03-13-2003 03:47 PM

Hi.. How would I see pictures somewhere of these?

Any idea where on the net photos of these might be?

FWK 03-13-2003 04:03 PM

My boat is posted under the thread excaliber it is mispelled and also the freidmans 27 tall deck raceboat. Do a search on boattraderonline there is a 84 speedster that is redone for 16,500. The tall decks were much slower than the flat decks. same hull but the tall decks wieghed alot more. Forrest

stephenwsmith 03-13-2003 04:07 PM

Who built the Excalibur's.. any other brands?

Other brands I should look at...

I've liked some of the pics.. the look is good, how does the build quality compare to the Scarabs? and other boats?

FWK 03-13-2003 04:17 PM

The original executioner was built by excalibur for fountain off of the 32 hull. chris craft also used this hull. Wellcraft bought excalibur I believe in 1984 or 85. They continued to build them for a few years and quit. I always wondered what happened to the molds. There are some 27 foot boats out there that have the same dimensions as the speedster and look like the tall deck version of the excalibur boats.