Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Got some bad family news yesterday. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/45500-got-some-bad-family-news-yesterday.html)

traviss 03-16-2003 06:52 PM

mike.. sorry to hear the news bro :( One of our uncles is having a triple bypass on tuesday. Some people think its a big deal some do not. A couple of my dad's friend's have had it done at early ages ( 40-50 yrs old). They all call it a "tune up", They say life is alot better after the surgey.

Good luck mike

Travis
Travis

H20 Cowgirl 03-16-2003 07:02 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!

Shane 03-16-2003 07:20 PM

Good Luck!

My father has had it and I know several others that have had it to. As was said several times already, VERY routine today and most people are up and at 'em pretty quickly. Best wishes.

Shane

Dredgeking 03-16-2003 07:21 PM

foul, very sorry to hear about this. be strong. i wish your family the best.

Whitey 03-16-2003 07:57 PM

Good Luck to your family Mike, It is good they have you to help stabilize them. Let us know how it goes. Dwight

gdfatha 03-16-2003 08:01 PM

'Foul!
Chin up young man.. My best friend had a quintuple (5) 13 years ago and he is still one of the most active and horniest 60 year olds I know of.:) :) :rolleyes:

Sydwayz 03-16-2003 08:07 PM

Mike, hang in there. Neda's father has been through two bypasses, one triple, and one quadruple. Godspeed to his recovery! Medicine is amazing today, and this should go smootlhy.

BankerRon 03-16-2003 08:17 PM

surgery

You know anymore it is pretty simple operation for the Docs. That doesn't make it any easier on you but he will be fine. My Dad had one 20 yrs ago when the didn't know much about them. Hang in there!!!

MooseKnuckle 03-16-2003 08:41 PM

Mike,

My father had a quad Jan 6th. He had a heart attack in his 40's and then all was good until New Years Eve. They just got down to FL for the winter and he told my mom and friends to call 911. Next day he found out one was 100% blocked and three others were 80% blocked. Had me worried also, especially since he was so far away. My parents only live 20 minutes when they are not in FL.

He did not want us flying down for the surgery, and we didn't, didn't want to upset him if we did. That was a hard choice.

My mom was the only one in FL, but was lucky to have close friends that helped her out the first couple of days while he was in hospital. Then the three kids took turns flying down to help out around condo and get his butt up and walking.

He has been doing great. He was about 255 #'s in December and now is 220 #'s.

Your dad will second guess having the surgery after it is done, just because of how tired he will be. But that won't last long. Just make sure he help him reach the walking targets the doctors set. When I was in FL, I had to make sure he got upto walking one mile per day which was one month after surgery. Does seem like a lot, but it is.

At least the weather is breaking so it will be easier to walk outside.

The surgery is so common, I can't believe it. When I was in FL, all the elderly guys were telling my dad he will be in as good of shape as them in a short while. Must of been about 25 people in the condo complex that I met while walking that had the same surgery.

Think positive and tell your mom everything will be ok. Tuff at first, but very good after.

Mike

Gordo 03-16-2003 10:59 PM

Mike,

Stay strong for the family dude. I'm sure Dad will come out of this fine and ready to hit the water soon.
Our thoughts are with you, and him.