Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dam, That Was Some Big Water Today!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/45526-dam-some-big-water-today.html)

thisistank 03-16-2003 07:01 PM

Dam, That Was Some Big Water Today!!!

Have you ever been out and thought, "We should just not be here right now!?" Well, that was today. We left Ventura Harbor after lunch and the wind was said to be gusting at 40 MPH, small craft advisory, the swell had to be 10-12 footers AND BREAKING!! We get outside the harbor trying to get back to Channel Islands Harbor which is like 10 miles down the coast, we get out there and I'm thinking, "It's time to turn back now" Let me rephrase that, I turn to Kevin and said it to him. The holes were so big we were barely on plane and dropping completely out off the back side of the swells. Dropping deep in the middle of the swell where you can't see anything but high seas all around you. We were completely wet from the wind spray coming over the bow and my girlfriend Kelly told me later, I took the P-coat off and put the life jacket on because I didn't want to sink with the p-coat on when we went into the ocean!!!:eek:

Finally, we get a small area to turn back and now we are worrying about stuffing the thing. Not to mention all the crap in the water plugged the starboard motor! We barely got back in alive! The Cigarette held up like a champ though!! Not the best boating day, but I wont forget it anytime soon!

Tank

Payton 03-16-2003 07:04 PM

WOW, glad you got back ok.

tanned fat looks better 03-16-2003 07:07 PM

Sounds kinda hairy Tank...........glad to hear you guy's are ok!

cuda 03-16-2003 07:40 PM

Been there before, looking for a chance to turn back. Glad it worked out ok.

gdfatha 03-16-2003 07:49 PM

Hey! Happy to hear all turned out without any injuries.
Various news reports here in Florida have made note of the high winds and rains all along the West coast.

Whats with the big winds this time of year?? If I remember correctly, when I lived in Woodland Hills Oct thru Dec were the Santa Anas..

Glad all is well with the humans..Hows the Cig??

Allan4 03-16-2003 09:39 PM

That a boy Tank.....you should have gone home and picked up the Outlaw......HeHeHe.....!!:D :D

Audiofn 03-16-2003 09:59 PM

Tank sounds like you guys are lucky. I have been out on a few of those days back in my blow boat days. Now when it is like that I just turn around and go home.

Jon

Mike J 03-16-2003 10:16 PM

TANK, I have been out where
you were a few times, Infact
been at a few Pacific Offshore
races in my old home town of
Ventura when we were blown
out.
It can get real Bad Real fast
with the islands so close.
You were very Lucky with all
the junk that washes down the
river.
The Daughter "Cyndi" said it
rained so hard in Oxnard she
could not see across the street 4" in 8hrs.
Mike J.

thisistank 03-17-2003 12:07 AM

Thanks guys. Yea, it was definately crazy. I've been in some big stuff but that was unreal. You know it's bad when you're thinking about things like, will they find us if we go into the water. And worrying about if the next swell is going to break over the boat. Lucky thing we got back ok.

thisistank 03-17-2003 12:26 AM

Originally posted by Troutly
Yep...you know it is bad when you can't find a safe way to turn around... :eek:
BIG TIME!!:eek: I turend to Kevin and said, "Time to go back, we're not going to make this one!" and he said, "We're commited! How are we going to turn around??!!" I looked around and said, "Yea, I see your point" Luckily, we were able to do a cut back thing off the lip of one of the swells and managed not to capsize the boat.

It's times like that, when you're smacked in the face with it, that you will remember to respect the ocean.