Got some bad family news yesterday. >

Got some bad family news yesterday.

Notices

Got some bad family news yesterday.

Old 03-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got some bad family news yesterday.

My father needs a tripple by-pass. This has me really worried. It has had my mother in tears for 2 days now. She is a real worrier, so I am trying to be the one person in the family that stays calm about this (my sister is just like my mother). My dad is pretty much in denial about the whole thing. I am headed to the Red Wings game with him later this afternoon. The Dr. told him he probably shouldn't go, but he won't listen. We have known he has had a problem for a few weeks now, but just found out this terrible news. I even went out and got re-certified in CPR in the last few weeks because of this.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of surgery? What should we expect? If I rely on my father for the information he gets from the doctor, I'll only get his shortened version of the truth (remember, denial). This is the first time I have ever had to think about life without my father. He is my best friend in the whole world, and is totally responsible for getting me into boating. Any information would be greatly appreciated by me and my family. Thanks.

Mike

Last edited by Waterfoul; 03-16-2003 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Registered

Mike that is scary news for families to hear. That is a pretty routine procedure these days. I know a few people that have had it and they turned out fine. I hope eveything goes great for him. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:23 PM

Best friend had it done last Monday, no big deal he was home Thursday and he went out with a group of use for dinner yesterday. Althougt he is sore he looks and feels great. These type of procedure are nobrainers these days. (remember I'm a doctor and I see these patients on a daily basis in our practice)Most important advice is have it done at a hospital and by a team that does hundreds per year not someone that does dozens a year. Be Blessed Otto.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, I'm sorry to hear about what your family is going thru. It sounds as if you are going to have to be the stabilizing influence for everyone involved. Try to learn everything from the doctors that you possibly can because it will enable you to speak rationally to the other family members about the situation. The medical field and technology has come a long way and I'm sure that both your Father and Mother will be amazed at the advances in Cardiology once the inital shock and denial is over.

Stay strong for the family. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Keith
Old 03-16-2003, 12:47 PM
gofastboater

Mike, please call me about this. My father had four by-passes. Just give me a call either at home or on the cell. Would really like to talk to you about this.

Jim

Old 03-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Registered

As stated earlier bypass if a fairly common precedure, but is major surgery. Do your research on both doctor and hospital. There are many cardiac focused hospitals, try to use one which as much experience as possible.
Support your dad, this is a scary time for him. Good luck I'm confident everything will be fine.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike -- Don't worry too much-
My dad had 5 by-pass surgery and came out great. You will see a new man. He will be supprised at the amount of energy he has right away after the surgery. He WILL be sore for quite a while though.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Thanks all of you for the kind words and advice. I'm off to pick up my dad for the drive to Detroit and the game.

GFB, I'll give you a call this week. Would be nice to talk to you again anyway, it's been too long. You can update me on your family situation too, which is much happier than mine at the moment. Hope you and your wife are doing well.

'Foul
Old 03-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Mike,

The good news is that he'll feel much better after the procedure !

It's considered fairly "routine" today but still is worrisome for the family.

Both members of our family who have gone through this are in great shape today.

Best of Luck !
- - Wes
Old 03-16-2003, 03:35 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your chin up Mike! we're praying for him!

Quick Reply: Got some bad family news yesterday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.