Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ink stain in vinyl (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/45676-ink-stain-vinyl.html)

509 SC 03-18-2003 01:34 PM

Ink stain in vinyl

I have some ink stains on the vinyl vee berth pad from printing on a plastic bag that has tranfered deep into the vinyl. I've tried vinyl cleaner and Westley's Bleach White without much luck. The vinyl is white in color. I remember a thread about this but can't remember what worked? Thanks for your help! Steve

45sonic 03-18-2003 01:41 PM

509 SC,
I did the same thing when I got my first boat (24' Baja). I laid the bag on the driver's seat and then started washing the boat. The bag got wet and the ink bled on the vinyl. I used every cleaner known to man on it that day - and in the end, after one/two weekends, the sun bleached it out. To this day, I don't know if it was something I used or just the sun or a combination of the two.

Good luck.

Patti

Sydwayz 03-18-2003 01:42 PM

Do a search on this in this forum. There have been several remedies mentioned in the past.

Magicfloat 03-18-2003 01:50 PM

Some ink will NOT come out. As was said ,carefully try Acetone. if it doesn't come out with that it won't come out.We have had to replace vinyl on new boats due to careless use of ink and magic markers.Acetone is your last hope.

Gary Anderson 03-18-2003 02:54 PM

Try it in this order.
Soap, scrubbing with brush
Bleach
Sun for 1-2 days
Alcohol
Acetone
Some inks dont come out (sharpie) but that hand stamp ink that bars use bleaches out in the sun after a day.
Gary

Griff 03-18-2003 03:17 PM

I had a similar problem last week when my 2 year old got a hold of permanent marker and wrote all over the house including a leather couch. I went to Menards and got some spot remover called "Goof Off" for the leather couch. It took the marker off in seconds. I used q-tips to only get it on the marks. It lightened the color of the leather slightly but it worked. This chit is STRONG. Used it on a curtain also and it ate the plastic backing off in 10 seconds.

formula31 03-18-2003 05:19 PM

And the real last resort is MEK, short for Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Thats the solvent used to make the vinyl. If you use a real clean white cloth get it wet and with a quick swipe, just one, you can remove nearly anything, including the vinyl if your not careful. It helps to try it on something you dont care about or on the backside first to get the hang of it. Remember, last resort only. Treat it good with Mequires vinyl cleaner conditioner after whatever you do. I usually have good luck with softscrub with bleach and the sun.

509 SC 03-18-2003 07:11 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I also tried Naptha which was suggested by several people from a search of previous posts, but it did nothing. I'll try some of these, and let you know if anything works. Thanks again, Steve

TomFTM 03-18-2003 07:19 PM

Try Goof off 2. I used it a stain on my interior and it was the only stuff that got it out.. Tom