Notices

OT: Seal Team Six Speaker

Old 03-21-2003, 10:19 AM
OffshoreOnly Antagonizer
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Seal Team Six Speaker

I want to share an incredible experience I had last night with all clothing in tact. Through a business organization, I attended a viewing of the movie "Black Hawk Down" followed by a live Q&A session with a 22 year veteran of the Navy's ultra elite Seal Team Six sniper squad. If you met this guy on the street, you would not give him a second look. He was in great shape but otherwise very ordinary. He carried himself humbly and spoke matter-of-factly about his personal experience in Mogidishu, Somalia. When someone in the group asked him why he does what he does, he responded in the most unjingoistic terms that he enjoys serving his country and enjoys his job most because of the guys in his unit. They are brothers who look out for eachother. He made it seem that his job is just like those of civilians who work together towards a goal, except that he and his peers have an added element of danger. He was prone to understatement all evening. He also explained that he has no hesitation going into battle in places like the Middle East and Africa because he can take care of matters now so that his children will enjoy a better life. He had some slides with him, one of which showed the Kevlar speed boats that they operate from on occasion. (There have been pictures of them on OSO before) He lamented the fact that they do not get to use them much now because most conflicts today are in landlocked country.

I left the gathering with an invigorated sense of country and a feeling of gratitude knowing that men like this Navy Seal are out there making our lives better, our country stronger, and our children safer. Your opinion about the war notwithstanding, support your troops.

-Mr. Sorkin, 10th Grade Geometry teacher
Old 03-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

PL,
I used to work for AFSOC, Air Force Special Operations Command, and they too were very low key about their "Job", but @ the same time you know how LETHAL they are. Right now I work for the USMC and I'm very motivated to come to work everyday.
Semper Fi.
MD
BTW, how's the newest little PL doing these days?
Old 03-21-2003, 11:05 AM
OffshoreOnly Antagonizer
VIP Member

Danielle is now 6 months. She looks like her mommy, thank god. She is doing great, thank you for asking.

-Mr. Sorkin, 10th Grade Geometry teacher
Old 03-21-2003, 11:07 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Damn right. Support our troops regardless of your feelings about the war or it's surrounding politics.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Thanks 4 sharing PL.

4 years, Pentagon, Joint Cheifs of Staff, among others. I know the stories.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up U.S. Navy Seals

We have rubbed elbows with the Navy Seals on several occasions---they have some of the best training, facilities and the best equipment----and they are some BAD, BAD ombre's!

Our unit lended them six M40A1 sniper rifles for about 2 months and when I went down to Coronado to pick them up I was very impressed with their weapons cleaning locker----dang!----Compressed air and everything---it was awsome! I hung out all day with one of the Seal's who was in charge of their weapons locker. I was jealous---They get all the good/fun stuff! I have the utmost respect for them.

USMC 77-81

Last edited by KAAMA; 03-22-2003 at 04:27 PM.