Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Vote On The New Apba Starting Procedure

Old 03-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vote On The New Apba Starting Procedure

this is the new starting procedure right out of the APBA rule book:

C. Starting Procedure for Super Series and Factory Series

The mandatory starting procedure for all APBA Offshore Pro Series events is as follows:

1. Starting Grid Position -

a. Application – All starts involving Super Series and Factory Series Classes shall require the formation of a Starting Grid for each class pursuant to the procedures set forth below.

b. Establishing the Starting Grid –

i. First Event -
At the first Pro Series event of the season, the starting grid positions for each race shall be determined by random draw conducted at the Race Day Driver’s Meeting. There shall be a starting position number assigned for each boat in each class commencing with the number “1” for the innermost lane position relative to the first turn of the race (hereinafter referred to as the “Pole” or “Pole Position”) and continuing in ascending order across the starting lineup and ending with the last boat in the class with the outermost lane position. Thus, if there are ten boats in a class start, the inside pole position shall be number one and the outermost lane position shall be number 10.

ii. Subsequent Events (“Inverted Start Rule”) - Commencing with the second Pro Series race of the season and continuing with each subsequent event through the National Championships, the starting grid for each race shall be determined for each class subject hereto, by inverting the finishing order from the immediately preceding race for that class. Thus, subject to sub- paragraph iii, below, the winner in each class from race #1 will be assigned the outside position of the starting grid for its class at race #2; the 2nd place finisher from race #1 shall be assigned the lane immediately to the inside of the race #1 winner , and so forth and so on until the starting grid is complete. This procedure shall be repeated for each subsequent race through the National Championships event.

IF SOMEONE CAN MORE CLEARLY EXPLAIN THE NEW START PROCEDURE VS. THE OLD, PLEASE POST IT.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:16 PM
Registered

Its pretty simple, I think. . .

First of all, don't let the word Grid get to you. Remember, technically a grid can be 1 row by 15 columns.

Think of it as a straight line of boats just behind the pace boat as it has always been. The "pole" position would be the closest boat to the inside of the upcoming turn buoy. This is often (but not always) a coveted position, and hence is being considered to be an advantage. The winner of a race will have to start the following race on the far outside of the line, thus having the furthest distance to travel to the upcoming turn buoy. The boat finishing last in the previous race would be awarded the #1 position, or the "pole".
<Pace Boat>

<1> <2> <3> <4> <5> <6> <7> etc, etc.

Don't confuse this type of start, with a 2x2 grid following a full course yellow flag. Remember too, that if the inside of the course doesn't allow, the pace boat may actually be just outside of starting grid, rather than on the inside. It happened maybe twice last year.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:51 AM
Registered

Question...what happens if a boat did not attend the prior weeks race? Where do they start?
Old 03-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Registered

bobby is correct...they were talking of a 2x2 grid for the race start as well...that idea got droped and the word "grid" still remained...so even i was confused...only because i was involved in early talks of do'n a true grid start...

bobby...you'll love the start of an F2 race

we will give it a try...see what happens..
Old 03-20-2003, 08:50 AM
Registered

And the answer to my question is....
Old 03-20-2003, 09:04 AM
Registered

MY GUESS IS ON THE FAR OUTSIDE. i don't think they are going to give a team the pole that did not show up to the last race...but that is not addressed in the rules as of yet...this is just what i got from talking with Ted Z. about it....he also said this was not set in stone...they are willing to change it if there are issues..the APBA is about close racing with lots of action during the race...so i can understand what they are trying to do.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Registered

Originally posted by audacity
MY GUESS IS ON THE FAR OUTSIDE. i don't think they are going to give a team the pole that did not show up to the last race...but that is not addressed in the rules as of yet...this is just what i got from talking with Ted Z. about it....he also said this was not set in stone...they are willing to change it if there are issues..the APBA is about close racing with lots of action during the race...so i can understand what they are trying to do.
I think it is a good idea and it fits right in with their plan. Many Friday and Saturay night dirt tracks do the same thing and it helps to keep parity. I hope it works well for them.

Last edited by Shane; 03-20-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:21 AM
Registered

well...one main thing that attracts fans to outlaws is,,, crashes...i have some mixed feelings on it this new rule....in most other major motor sports,,,,the pole position is not only coveted but earned! but i'm keeping an open mind at this point....i share the same goal on growing this motor sport...so we'll give it a shot!
Old 03-20-2003, 11:57 AM
Registered

Last year the U.I.M Class 1 started in two rows also and it works fine no crashes from that. I don't know the APBA rules but in Class1 from the start to the first buoy it is along way and the fast boats are clear in front up to there.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Registered

but in UIM do they give the pole position to the slowest boat of the previous race? how is grid position determined in UIM???

Quick Reply: Vote On The New Apba Starting Procedure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.