Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: How many OSO members are firefighters? Either career or Voly's? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/45984-ot-how-many-oso-members-firefighters-either-career-volys.html)

otis311 03-23-2003 07:27 AM

21 years ago I decided to become a volly FF. Why, They had a great softball team and $1.00 bought you all the beer you could drink. Not a bad deal for an 18 year old drunk at the time

I took it up as a profession 11 years ago and have NEVER regretted the decision. I am currently a Lt and can proudly say that I have served as union president of our local for the past 7 years.

BadDog 03-23-2003 08:08 AM

Volunteer for 12 years now. Deputy Chief.

Preferredstock 03-23-2003 08:57 PM

Volunteer
22years and still going strong. The body tells me I'm getting a little to old to keep up with the the youngsters, but the hearts still in it. But I'd rather fight a fire with the old guys. They just do there job without the whinning.

CFD5 03-23-2003 10:14 PM

I recieved a PM asking me to post this info. Unfortunately we had a FF killed in the line of duty on Friday, for anyone interested in attending the services they will be held here in Cincy. Visitation will be this Wed, and the Funeral on Thurs. (3-27-03) I will post more info as soon as I find out, regarding times and exact location.

Shane 03-24-2003 05:33 AM

Originally posted by CFD5
I recieved a PM asking me to post this info. Unfortunately we had a FF killed in the line of duty on Friday, for anyone interested in attending the services they will be held here in Cincy. Visitation will be this Wed, and the Funeral on Thurs. (3-27-03) I will post more info as soon as I find out, regarding times and exact location.
:( :( :(

Shane 03-24-2003 05:36 AM

I am 31, why do so many young guys (including guys my age) whine and cry so much? It is SO ANNOYING! BTW, we have a live burn exercise tonight. Should be a great time. Looking forward to it!

babybro 03-24-2003 08:33 AM

I've been on for 14 years voluteer am also an national registerd
EMT,I have been a fire officer and I hope to be again if time allows.
I have two brothers who are on the dept with me they also are
a cop and a paid firefighter and I have another brother who is on the first aid squad.

tanned fat looks better 03-24-2003 10:23 AM

Originally posted by CFD5
CFD5............my thoughts and prayers go out to our fallen brother and their family. We and our families know there is an inherant risk that accompanies this job, but this is something you can never prepare for.

tanned fat looks better 03-24-2003 10:30 AM

This is hanging on the wall of all our fire houses.............I take a look at once in awhile for a little perspective.

A Fireman's Prayer

When I am called to duty, God,

Whenever flames may rage;

Give me strength to save some life,

Whatever be its age.

Help me embrace a little child

Before it is too late

Or save an older person

From the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert

And hear the weakest shout,

And quickly and efficiently

To put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling

And to give the best in me

To guard my every neighbor

And protect his property.

And if, according to my fate,

I am to lose my life,

Please bless with your protecting

My children and my wife.

- Author Unknown

otis311 03-24-2003 10:50 AM

CFD,

Just read about your loss. My Prayers go out to your brothers and the family of the fallen one. I have attended WAY too many of those funerals over my career.

I must say though, If you could choose a way to go out of this world and if you had to leave this world before your time, NO ONE, AND I MEAN, NO ONE can put together a service the way our great brotherhood can. 100's or even 1000's of Firefighters lined up to honor you, most who never even heard of you before. Then the comraderie afterwords at the coalation. Its just amazing

Bob Scanlon