Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trim Tab Indicators (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/46143-trim-tab-indicators.html)

Smitty 03-24-2003 01:36 PM

Trim Tab Indicators

I am installing 280-S K-Planes on my boat . I did not buy the indicators because I don't really have the space on my dash for them. I have never had tabs on a boat but have 15 yrs experience with high performance boats.

Do I really need to spend the time/money to put indicators on it or is there a cool wiz bang setup that I could get by with???

The boat is a Baja 24 Outlaw with 600 hp.

Thanks,
Dave

skatermike24 03-24-2003 02:07 PM

I never had them on my boats, To have the indicator I think is a plus but you'll get the fell of them, and know where they are, its something you can always add later, good luck

Audiofn 03-24-2003 02:11 PM

Yup I have never had them on my boat also. Just kind of get the feel of them after a while. I am however putting them on now so that my girlfriend can learn faster.

Jon

JUSTONCE 03-24-2003 02:13 PM

I just put indicators on my boat ran all lost year without them, no drive indicator either, no big deal you figure out where everything is y playing a bit. It got tough sometimes in really rough stuff though, I put the indicators on for that resason.

Ron P 03-24-2003 04:29 PM

It is critical to know where your tabs are at all times. YOU NEED INDICATORS!!!!!

On some of the new race boats I've noticed that the trim indicators are nothing more than rods sticking up out of the dash. Like a tire pressure gauge. This would take up no room on your dash at all.

Smitty 03-24-2003 04:53 PM

Ron P--

Now that's something worth checking into!!!

Anybody else have any ideas?????:confused:

Dave

Ron P 03-24-2003 09:59 PM

There was a video on the APBA site that showed JT in the Bacardi boat. Directly infront of him was 4 rods that came straight up out of the top of the dash directly in his line of site. You could see them move occasionally, so it was obvious that these were the trim indicators.

Just put the ends of the rods through some holes!

Becca 03-24-2003 10:39 PM

Personally, on a 24 outlaw, you can just feel it out.

doright 03-24-2003 11:43 PM

32 foot Wellcraft for >5years with no tabs...No probs. You get a "feel" for your boat. It'll tell you when it's right. The engines get 'that satisfied sound'.

On the other hand, my present 36' Formula Kaama has 'em and they're a pain in the ass. One of 'em is presently screwed up and is gonna' cost me a haul-out.

Doc

LapseofReason 03-25-2003 09:11 AM

You gotta have them if you are going to run hard in rough stuff, plus why stress the pump's by not knowing if your all the way up or down and still pushing the button. They sell all kinds shape's and sizes something has to fit.