Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Should I take a V-Rod on trade? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/46263-should-i-take-v-rod-trade.html)

Shorty 03-25-2003 10:29 PM

The V-Rod is badass! Especially the one with the red ghost flame paint job. Most of them are just the plain aluminum/silver color. Haven't seen too many with custom paint. If you can take a 2003 in for trade at wholesale, you won't lose money, even if you ride it all summer! They're selling new for like $3k over MSRP here in KC.

Mr. Demeanor 03-26-2003 01:12 AM

Rumors are they have had some engine problems. Not sure what type but do a little internet research especially if the warranty has passed. The engine was built by Porche and designed by Harley or the other way around.
Anyone who thinks any Harley is all American hasn't looked at their suspension among other things.
I don't care for the front end and the solid wheels, otherwise a decent looking bike.
They are not fast. I had a poor guy line up with me last summer on one. I didn't realize we were racing until he pinned it. I just drove next to him like I would normally ride and at about 70mph pulled the front wheel up a said goodbye. I slowed up and waited for him because I honestly wanted to look at the bike. First one I had seen. The guys ego was so crushed he wouldn't come near me.

WoooHoooo, one more post and I can attach links to my threads!

LapseofReason 03-26-2003 06:58 AM

I never said the V rod was a evo, I said the die hard HD guy's don't even like the evo and it's been out for 10 years. I make my living working on bike's.

LapseofReason 03-26-2003 07:10 AM

It was just the first few 100 that had problems and they were all recalled now the are fine.

LapseofReason 03-26-2003 08:19 AM

If HD made an air plane would you fly in it ?

LapseofReason 03-26-2003 08:27 AM

Since the 88 inch and the Vrod came out they have been a lot nicer bike's. I had a 96 fat boy for a summer and didn't like it to much but then I got a 01 soft tail custom it was a nice bike the shock's were set up good the bike had a good balance rode real nice the fat bot always felt like the front and rear wern't connected. I don't do a lot of HD work really just Dyno tune them but from the guy's I talk to they all seem to feel the same way 01 and newer are a lot better more work on the frame to make them ride good and stuff like that. I only have about 10 mile's on a Vrod and I liked it.

AZDominator 03-26-2003 08:33 AM

Great Bike! I've owned one for 9 months now and have just over 5000 miles on it. Just a few comments on some of the posts: 1) They are not as fast as the crotch rockets however they are still a fast bike (I've owned them all). 2) I have added a rider pillion and backrest for long trips. My wife and I have taken 400 mile trips with no complaints. 3) I ride with a group of Harleys every weekend and of all the bikes we pull up with at bars and resturants its the V-Rod people seem to ask questions about and compliment. The lowest price V-Rods on the internet are 16,000-17,000 some of which have been dropped in parking lots or need tires, etc... The lowest price out the door from a dealer is just over 20,000 with tax, prep, and plates. One additional item, the engine was designed by Porsche, my bike has the same union build stickers that the Road King, Softtails, and Wideglides have on theirs and they wouldn't put them on there if it wasn't built in the USA!

Biggus 03-26-2003 08:47 AM

A buddy of mine recently bought one. He paid 23k for it.

I just did a search of completed items on ebay for the V Rod. You can buy one with under 500 miles for 16-17k

Kurt

GLH 03-26-2003 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
If HD made an air plane would you fly in it ?
Good point LR confidence is needed up there, can't park it and wait for the tow truck up there.:D

Puder--- Porsche helped HD guys were there from what I saw on the Discovery Channel.

For the record no ridding in the GLH household I got over that when I was 20. Maybe an old YZ like Biggus has only!!

Johno 03-26-2003 11:28 AM

V-Rod

The V-Rod never really has sold as well as HD had hoped. If you shop it hard you can buy a new one around 18k. The V-Rod was created out of necessity due the age of the EVO motor & future emission requirements. HD technology is kinda old stuff , so the V-rod has been a big step forward for HD, time will tell if the market will accept this change. Harleys (American V-Twins)are way under rated both performance & rideability. Regular Harley (evo) have held their value real well.
What most people don't know is that a Harley is only 61% local American content & a Honda 63 %. Honda has a huge stake in the US economy.
Either way be safe & enjoy
John