Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kodiak Disc Brakes... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/46461-kodiak-disc-brakes.html)

obnoxus 03-28-2003 02:53 PM

I have them sitting in a box in the garage,,, cant wait to get them on.

US1 Fountain 03-28-2003 08:13 PM

I just picked up my new Eagle trailer yesterday. It has the Kodak disc brakes. Seemed to work fine on its 3 hr maiden voyage. Will find out this weekend when we finally go get the boat after a 4 week wait.

Sydwayz 03-31-2003 01:51 PM

New Quality Axles arrived today via tractor-trailer. Axles look good; except for a missing bearing buddy, and 4 missing lug nuts. I can understand the BB getting knocked off, but who is going to take the time to spin off 4 lug nuts? SOB! Quality is replacing missing parts plus extra for free. Hope to see brakes in next couple days. Next step; blocking the boat.

Sydwayz 04-14-2003 10:03 AM

Axles went on with no significant problem. Not sure on alignment, as I aligned them the best I could with hand tools and a laser sighted level. I installed the Kodiak Brakes as well, but was thrown a curve ball when the holes in the axles plates were to small, and all 16 had to be drilled out. Gave my little cordless drill a good workout. I have not run brake lines yet, or modified the actuator, as the lines are in transit. I ordered a SS line kit from Champion, including a solenoid. I took the trailer only for a test drive last night without the brakes hooked up, and watched for wabling, dog-trot, and sway, and everything looked perfect. I look forward to finishing the job. I hope to snag some pics too when finished. I also added some rubber mudflaps to the insides of the fenders to keep the boat a little cleaner.

obnoxus 04-14-2003 10:14 AM

Installed my Kodiak kit yesterday,, went on easy,, made a huge difference in braking. I paid $160 per axle,,, money well spent !!!!!!

Sydways,,, if you become a dealer let me know,, ,,, I didnt buy the back up lock out yet and want to add it.

East Coast B 04-14-2003 11:19 AM

I've been running kodiaks for 3 seasons, came with my trailer... not an issue with them....

Andy Buzz 04-14-2003 11:38 PM

I did a lot of research when I bought my new trailer a few weeks ago. It seems that the most reputable trailer guys use Kodiak and that the recommended package is the Stainless calipers with the nickel discs. Stainless discs are probably very difficult to turn and twice the price.

Tie Down is a non vented disc and seems to be a less expensive alternative with a cost saving of about $110 per axle. The Kodiak brand looks beefy and my trailer stops effortlessly.

Sydwayz 04-16-2003 09:06 PM

NOT HAPPY!!!

...with Champion Trailer.
I ordered my SS brake line kit last Thursday afternoon. I wanted it on Saturday, and even though they had it in stock, they could not get it out to me until earliest Monday. I said fine, get it out on Friday, and ship it UPS Ground, (usually takes 3-5 days). Then I could at least install it this coming weekend.

I just got a notification email they just shipped it out TODAY, and top that off, they shipped it to an address I have not lived at for OVER A DAMN YEAR!!! It is not expected to be delivered until NEXT MONDAY!!!! Last time this mistake was made, I never saw the part that was shipped to that address. I am pissed, and they will be hearing from me first thing in the morning. This just pushed the first splash of the season back at least a week.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

US1 Fountain 04-16-2003 10:11 PM

That sucks! Sometimes I think shipping departments do this just to mess with us.
Brian, did you order the deluxe b/u solenoid? It is only a few bucks more and does require a bit more work, but worth more than 1000x in concept.

BTW, I tried to back up my trailer empty on level ground with the Kodiak disc brakes, w/o the b/u solenoid plugged in. Made it 6", then the brakes grabbed and trailer would not budge!! No way, no how. Those brakes are great! Now, if only I can make them work while backing down the boat ramp w/o going the electric over hyd route.
Wonder how quick one would have to back down the ramp in order to get them to engage? Have video camera .......ACTION!

Sydwayz 04-21-2003 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FRICKING UPS!!!!! I finally got my lines tonight from Champion. I had to pick them up at the UPS Depo at almost 9PM!

I have a dilemna/clearance problem now. This is due to my Quality Trailer Axles, (quite a fricking oxymoron).

As you can see in this pic, as my brake lines come off the caliper, the brake line passes under the L-Shaped Angle (Steel) making the axle mounting plate to the trailer.

1) Should I try to find new fittings that will screw in to point that does not cause an immediate collision between the axle mounting plate and brake line when the torsion axle compresses? (Not excited about this idea).

( OR SEE BELOW)