Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat >

24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat

Notices

24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat

Old 04-03-2003, 09:38 AM
riskybusiness

Too Slow: Sorry, I've been meaning to email you a couple of pictures I have of the old B23 Race Boat of Mike Snow's, just haven't gotten around to it---I got a whole stack of 'em (they're on post cards). Nice photo of the airborne racer.

Congrads on your new motors---that boat oughta haul ass!!!

Velocity: As far as handling goes, you'll be hard pressed to find a better hull than that (without spending a godawful fortune, and even then the Banana is comparable). A truly great rough-water boat---fast, and predictable.

With that 454 you'll probably see speeds in the 60's or so.

As far as problems, the coamings tend to crack on the outside, towards the front of the cockpit (some improvements had been made over the years, but the one you're looking at is old). You may also find some stress cracks at the very middle of the foredeck, right where the windshield comes to a "v".

I had glassed in a narrow rib on the underside for one customer, and that solved the problem on his boat---these cracks did not appear on every boat.

The foam around the fuel tank sometimes gets saturated, especially on the relly old boats. This'll just add some weight, but may eventually rot the aluminum tank, which requires some serious cutting to replace. Get out the Sawzall.

These issues may not be the case with the boat you're looking at, but were things I occassionally saw.

Where is that boat for sale? Just curious.

I was at Port Edgewood the other day (Providence). The molds must be absolutely buried in the back of the shed. Icouldn't even get past all the storage boats to see 'em. That's probably where they'll stay.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banana Stuff

Velocity Mike,

I have had my Banana for 2 1/2 years now.

The best way I can describe it is take a 28 Pantera and cut 4 feet off the back. Since they both have 8 foot beams.

I think if you got the money, buy a 28 Pantera with twin 600's and go 100 mph.

If not then I recommend a Banana.

My boat goes 57? with a single 200hp Merc that is all stock. The gas mileage is great with only one juicer.

The cabin is the same size as a 28 Pantera but all it has is cushions if it is stock. Since I bought mine I installed facing bolsters in the cabin, built a teak galley with white countertop that has a sink and a microwave oven underneath, No running water yet, and I redid the wiring and overhead lighting plus I installed a porta potti. Easy stuff if you got the time. Boat starting to look like a new one.

Don't let the age of the boat get you down. It is easy to redo interiors.

As far as performance goes I have yet to launch off a wave that didn't land with out incident. Thus the name Air Dog. Not to be confused with Flying airplanes...

I saw the ad you are talking about. I like how the back seat is further back allowing more leg room in the cockpit.

I use mine in the ocean and we get big waves in New England.

Thats my 2 cents. I would ask some of the other Banana Heads though, they would probably give you better info. I am just a hack.

CC
Old 04-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Registered

By the way, 57 mph is based on my friends 22 Baja riding along next to me with a "non GPS" speedometer telling us how fast we are going.

Might not be that accurate...

Although, I did kick a Formulas ass that had twin inboards...

That was cool.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:25 AM
Registered

As for problems.

No cracks on the V part of deck

No fuel tank problems

Transom was completely replaced the year I bought it by professional fiberglass repair shop. Don't know how bad it was, but it is great now, with out any metal plates or supports.

I have two spider cracks on the coaming. One on each side. I expected it when I bought the boat cuz my checkmate had the same problem from flexing.

I have been wave jumping consistenely and they havent gotten any worse.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info guys. Can you post some pics so I can see what they look like. I am not sure what I am going to do but pics might help. Thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Registered

Here's another.....Wardey
Attached Thumbnails 24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat-3480keywest2001-med.jpg  
Old 04-03-2003, 10:28 PM
Too slow

Riskybuisness....id love to see those pics of mike snow's raceboat..postcards huh?...was that a port edgewood thing?

Old 04-04-2003, 06:36 AM
marinepro21

Hey I have a 24 ft P&D Marine that has Excaliber II on the side it. It was bought new at the Miami boat show in 1977. Mine was equiped with a 330 hp Merc with #3 drive. It sat out in the weather for 7 years so I totally gutted it and am in the process of replaceing the stringers in it.

I don't have any pics handy but it looks just like a very early Pantera and mine has a 7 ft beam.

Old 04-04-2003, 08:30 AM
riskybusiness

Too Slow: Yeah---the postcards were made years ago by Ray Mooney. His old business cards had the raceboat on them, too.

I keep forgetting to bring 'em into work (where my scanner is). Someday soon, I'll surprise you.

I'll probably have to upgrade my OSO membership to post the pics. I've been meaning to do that as well, so this'll be a good excuse.

The raceboat in the pics is Mike Snow's first one, which was basically box stock. His second version was much faster, and built specifically for racing, with extra full bulkheads, transom knees, modified cockpit, fairing, etc.

Mike had Bridgeports on that, and it flew. Approached 90 MPH, if I remeber correctly. Mid to high 80's, anyway. That boat was all cored---both the hull and the deck, and was laid up with all bi-axial cloth, as opposed to mat & roving (much lighter). As you know, the stock boats only have core in the deck, and are more traditional mat & roving layup schedules. He still has it---'been in storage for years. I saw him a couple years ago, and he said he may run it again.

I have a couple of pictures of that from the Performance Boat Show at Bayside Expo some 13 years ago (it'd be nice to have that around here again, huh?---I think that was a one-time event).

Keep watchin.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wardey,
I was wondering when some pics of that Cig would show up. The only 24 Cigarette built specifically for Factory 1 racing. It's beautiful, and it screams!

Quick Reply: 24' Cigarette Fire Fox vs 24' Banana Boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.