If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Rorry Calhoon

Just a HULL, pick your power??

If you found a used 35ft hull and were going to add power what would you pick. Would you go with expensive merc power or go after market. HP for $ whats the way to go. I know Rex Marine has a 580HP world products engine, not sure what the $$. What do you think?

I have never bought a Mercruiser motor. Look around there are steals out there on 500-700 hp stuff that is the schitt. I have 2- Blue Thunder 700s that are 4 years old and have ***** slapped many blue Merc HP motors. You are on the right track, I don't get how these new boats are being sold when there are total steals out there to be had. Good luck, buy a south Fl. boat trader

My Boats:
    Champaign, IL
    ... i personally like something that doesn't need anything except a turn of the key.....

GM is making a couple of sweet engines in my opinion.... 1. a 502 efi... modeled after the 500hp from merc... but this one is 530+ hp and 570 ft lbs of torque.... 2. GM's new HP3 the 496 that is 525 hp and a buttload of torque... depending on if you want the new 496 or the older 502 these are my choices...

My Boats:
    Spectre Sportfish Tournament Edition
    I like the new Merc 525's. A 35' will do mid to upper 80's with that set-up and be a prime candidate for future performance mods. Just my $.02.

My Boats:
    1989 Apache 41
    NW , IN USA
    There are great options out there besides Merc that are good values. My .02 it would depend on the budget and what you are looking for. Cheif, Wolffe, Teague, etc. Reliable horsepower is the key, I have went through a couple of situations were they did not back their work. There are some shops that do !

Location is also a big factor. On water tuning and testing, etc.

Again, just my .02