Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone know the Fort Myers area? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/46814-anyone-know-fort-myers-area.html)

groove 04-02-2003 12:48 PM

I might just have to apply for a job there... :)

groove 04-02-2003 06:01 PM

Seems like all who replied earlier are off line now. Anyone else have input?

Thanks

mmo jo 04-02-2003 11:10 PM

Hey Groove,
I am a native floridian, but we call ourselves crackers. We live in Ft. Myers. Love it here. I am originally from the Cocoa Beach area and although it's nice in some areas of the east coast, it is so much different on the gulf. The beaches are nicer and the water is calmer and warmer most of the time.
We have two kids, and feel safer on the beaches with them here. Not as rough and not as much undertow as the east coast. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of beautiful beaches and many nice areas on both coasts so it's mostly a matter of opinion. Every city has it's safe areas and it's not so safe areas. But speaking as a cracker who is not a transplant and has been all over Fl. all of my life I love the Ft. Myers area.
There are so many boating options available here, and some beautiful islands where the water is crystal clear most of the year.
Jupiter is a very nice place to live. I have family there myself, But you're still talking about the Atlantic and some pretty rough conditions compared to the gulf. We have done poker runs in our 39' boat everywhere from N.Y. City to here and some of the roughest water we have been in was on the east coast of Fl.
So like I said, It's mostly a matter of opinion but there are so many nice places in Fl. So what the hell!!!! As long as you have the sense to get away from that white stuff that they have gotten so much of this year in the north, you're on your way to some great boating, {year round} no matter which coast you're on.

O.C.Barry 04-03-2003 05:55 AM

I have a house on Anna Maria Island. It is a beautiful island. Great boating, white beaches, and incredible fishing. The island is just off Bradenton and just above Sarasota. The main claim to fame is that the Allman brothers used to have a place there and Cameron Diaz often visits because her aunt lives there. The island is sort of like Key West before it got all touristy.

Enjoy your search.

florida gator 04-03-2003 07:44 AM

Another cracker and I have to agree withmmo jo. As much as I love visiting the east coast, I prefer living on the west coast. Love the Tampa Bay area.

groove 04-03-2003 09:36 AM

Thanks crackers!

Now I have to ask, you must also then have a name for the people that move to Florida. ;) What will I be called? Go ahead, I can take it... :D

florida gator 04-03-2003 01:52 PM

Oh, we have lots of names for yall. Lets waite until you get here and see how you drive and conduct yourself in public before we decide which of the names you get.

BTW when I get old I wanna go up north and drive slow in the left lane with my turn sinal on.:D

BODYSHOT1 04-04-2003 07:19 AM

Bonita Springs..

..stop in Jimmys Roadhouse & ask for Mike (my bro)...

Cold Beer & Killer Sandwiches....oh, and Jersey Boyz Stuff as Well!!

:D

Ricochet 04-04-2003 09:11 AM

Groove.

We have a house on Sanibel Island and spend a considerable amount of time there. Depending on your tastes, it could be a great location for raising children. From what I know, the school system is smaller and strong in curriculum.

Plus, you can't beat the shelling, boating, nature areas and people!

Best of luck in your decision-making process.

Ricochet.

45sonic 04-04-2003 09:15 AM

Stop by Stan's on Marco Island!